Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some things !!!! MOT time ..................."Groan"

Some things !!!! MOT time ..................."Groan"

OK so the old jalopy is due for it's MOT. Did the usual check and noticed a couple of things that would need doing but having the car less than a year decided to just put it in and see if had missed anything. Since checking the obvious thing like lights a few days ago one thing it failed on is two blown bulbs. One I knew about but didn't have a number plate bulb to hand the other was not blown three days ago but at the testing station the N/S brake light was out yet was fine three days ago when I backed into the parking slot outside the Post office in the village. Oh well!

What annoyed me is that the car has a sunstrip across the top of the windscreen, by the look of it it's been there years and yet now it's an MOT failure as the wiper blades touch it ............................WTF ........................... it's there to shade ones eyes and stop glare and it's smoked but see through petty or what?

Couple of brake pipes have corrosion on them so need replacing, rear anti roll bar has a bush split and a rear disc has some distortion so he says.

So will order up the bits including a set of bushes for the anti roll bar if one is split I'll bet the others are showing their age after all the car is a "T" plate so knocking on a bit. New discs and pads fr the rear, pads were getting down anyway so were due for replacement before too long and this was planned for the summer so no biggie. Will re-check the fronts .......................... might as well and it's about due for an oil change so why it's up might as well do it.

Could have been worse .

What sort of motor is it?

New MOT laws in effect this year.
    Lots of things that would pass as an advisory last year are an instant fail now.

ball joint boots with a split but no apparent wear or movement would be advisories last year, now they fail.
    any warning lights (brake, airbag etc) - FAIL

I have a 98 Audi that I will be tarting up today for a test this weekend.

MOT testing manuals and guides

Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 B

Tis obvious that they all want us to feed the motor industry by having new cars however it does ont occur to them that's lots of people cannot afford a new car.

They do not want older cars on the roads hence the stupidity of the new things .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 B

Tis obvious that they all want us to feed the motor industry by having new cars however it does ont occur to them that's lots of people cannot afford a new car.

They do not want older cars on the roads hence the stupidity of the new things .
    As you are mechanically minded have you ever thought of getting a vintage landrover to benefit from the Road Tax exemption? atb Tim

Obviously you feel it is best to present your car for test and fix what is the failed item(s)... not good in the eyes of VOSA and if you get a few failures they will have you flagged up as dodgy owner.. any vehicle should for safety and insurance liability should pass an MOT at a roadside check 365 days a year. HGV's regularly get checked for roadside faults and VOSA are rolling this out on vans trailers and cars. VOSA were checking vehicles at Beattock and Craigforth towing trailers for the legal plate and if it was removed or unreadable the vehicles went no further after being given an immediate prohibition.

Tim
    The tax exemption tor the older vehicles does not extend to exemption to MOT test. Just allows you to spend a bit more on the maintenance!

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post
    Tim
    The tax exemption tor the older vehicles does not extend to exemption to MOT test. Just allows you to spend a bit more on the maintenance!
    Yes I was aware of that, but I was just being mindful of BH's mechanical talents and possible wish to make his funds stretch further.atb Tim

Tim, I do not know BH, are his talents stuff of legend?
    ps I have a tax exempt Land rover so know exactly what you mean, what I save on tax more than pays for a years worth of parts!

I have a 300tdi defender never had any big problems with it,and most of the work you can do yourself.
    The best 4 by 4 by far.