Meat processing facility - your thoughts

Hawshill

Dear All,

I manage a diverse farm in Worcestershire. We are considering the conversion of one of our buildings into an approved meat cutting unit to service local smallholders and other livestock producers who wish to have their carcasses hung and cut to their requirements before having them delivered to their customers in our refridgerated van. I have the services of a very good butcher who is looking to work part time in the future.

From a venison point of view I would like to ask if you think there would be a market for this sort of service? Where the smaller scale stalker could take their carcasses for processing, packing and delivery? I am trying to get an feeling for price people would pay for this service which would add value to their product?

Any thoughts, experience etc would be greatly received, if you wish to discuss my telephone number is 07890025266.

Best wishes

Jonathan Preston
Haws Hill Rural Services

Sounds like a great idea. Will help those of us who find coping with the wife moaning about the carcass difficult.
If the price was right it would be OK for small commercial stalkers who would no longer need a larder.
Good luck.

Dear All,

I manage a diverse farm in Worcestershire. We are considering the conversion of one of our buildings into an approved meat cutting unit to service local smallholders and other livestock producers who wish to have their carcasses hung and cut to their requirements before having them delivered to their customers in our refridgerated van. I have the services of a very good butcher who is looking to work part time in the future.

From a venison point of view I would like to ask if you think there would be a market for this sort of service? Where the smaller scale stalker could take their carcasses for processing, packing and delivery? I am trying to get an feeling for price people would pay for this service which would add value to their product?

Any thoughts, experience etc would be greatly received, if you wish to discuss my telephone number is 07890025266.

Best wishes

Jonathan Preston
Haws Hill Rural Services

I used a retired butcher in the village near my last FC syndicate ground. He charged £15 a time for Roe. Any more than that and I wouldn't have used him, just done it myself.

Back