Thread: "bell" mounted scopes - questions

"bell" mounted scopes - questions

Have been offered an old Zeiss scope that has an integral mount (dovetail I think) stuck on the bell of the objective end.
    does anyone know if these are integral and if they can be:
    a) removed
    b) easily mounted, I am assuming with little used and rare mounts!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Have been offered an old Zeiss scope that has an integral mount (dovetail I think) stuck on the bell of the objective end.
    does anyone know if these are integral and if they can be:
    a) removed
    b) easily mounted, I am assuming with little used and rare mounts!
    There were a whole series of Zeiss 'scopes produced in the 1920's - 1930's - fixed-power models Zielveir, Zielsech, Zielacht, and variable Zeilmulti/multar .... some of which had Suhl claw mounts on the objective.

They had a variety of rear mount arrangements - some had centre rail mounts (windage/elevation dials on top of the tube), and others (with standard-postion turrets) had a smaller rear claw also with a dovetail end. This lifted out and snapped back in to the rear bridge retaining mount. a bit like the current EAW rear mount base.

The front claw is semi-circular, and terminates in a dovetail, which moves laterally in a barrel-mounted raised base - for very coarse adjustment.

The 6x Zielsechs were the most common, and installed on the K98 for use by German snipers. As far as I know the semi-circular open claw is soldered to the objective bell, so is removable. The tube should be 26mm.

A PIC WOULD HELP IF YOU CAN DO
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

These objective mounted scope are usually part of a claw mounts setup.

As per your photo's you can just use them with convention rings and ignore the objective mounting point.

This should demonstrate it: http://www.eaw.de/en/products/claw-mounts.html
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

That's a railed 'scope in an EAW clamp swing mount. The objective has an alternative rail attachment for a break-open drilling.

That's quite a modern setup, so not the old claw mount I thought you meant. Sorry.

that is not the exact item to be honest, just a pic I found of something similar.

I just wanted to know if there is a way I could potentially remove the rail and objective mounting point so as not to have to sell a kidney to buy Apel or EAW mounts!

Ah..... your original post didn't mention the 'scope had a rail too.

The rail is an integral part of the tube, so non-removable. There isn't usually enough of the circular section of tube fore and aft of the base rail to fit standard rings .... even if the inter-ring gap happened to match up.... unlikely.

Don't forget that Zeiss do action-attachable claw mounts to clamp to the rail .... if you want a fixed setup.

Err, no but very interesting.

They're the right vintage jobbies. That setup looks identical to something I once saw on a split-bridge 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer.

I was thinking of a solution like these, and have found the link now. Look under accessories - rings & bases.

A set of Weaver QD bases or a Picatinny rail is the foundation.

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5...256BCF0061320D
    Last edited by Sinistral; 16-03-2012 at 19:07.

next question...

what would you expect to pay for a:
    6x42 Diatel
    or a
    1.5-6x32 Diavari
    or a
    8x56 Diatel

no pressure!