Thread: Night out with a thermal image intensifier unit watching Sika

Night out with a thermal image intensifier unit watching Sika

Part of the "Border Sika Deer Management Groups" meeting on Thursday night included a realy good demonstration of a "Night Vision Thermal Image Intesifier Unit" watching a couple of groups of Sika hinds on a borders estate. What a great tool with regards to clarifying numbers etc, you could even make out hot-spots on the deer where they were losing there winter coat!

Has anybody else used thermal imaging units to clarify deer numbers etc?

Seen three different ones in use first was with the DI I think they borrowed a fc one that was pretty average, seen a very very expensive military one no idea what it was but that was incredible and lastly we had a guest bring a industrial one along on the boar that was good but noisey.

Wayne

Have been out with SNH a couple of times doing deer counts in my area. First night we were beat by heavy mist.

The second night was clear, dry but fairly cold. Out of the groups of deer located most were couched.
    The unit is excellent and as the areas we were covering were mostly done by vehicle we had a computer link so that what could be seen by the operator could also be seen by the other occupants. I believe that the range of their equipment is out to 3000 meters but is obvioulsy restricted by trees, hedge rows etc. As Von states the clarity is excellent clearly making out bucks in velvet. Being used as a tool to count deer, the only draw back is that it is only as good as the area scanned.
    As well as deer what is clear are the lack of rabbits (in this area anyway) along with the good numbers of foxes and badgers.

I have borrowed one and used it to spot foxes before using the lamp! Fantastic, only need a couple of seconds of lamp and job done.
    Shame it had to go back!

I currently have four thermal imagers. The smallest hangs around my neck above my binos (day) or my NV monocular (night). The biggest weighs 7kgs, without the HD tripod. I love them to bits.

Gazza we were using the same unit as you were using also! Superb tool

What make and model units were being tested here ?? i have been thinking of buying the Guide IR518 which looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyfinn View Post
    What make and model units were being tested here ?? i have been thinking of buying the Guide IR518 which looks good.
    +1 ....cmon guys your reviews would be interesting.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Sorry chaps don't know the name or spec of the unit we were using! Do know it was military grade equipment though.

FLIR make some superb units, but the prices! The cheapest is about 2k then up to more than your house!