Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wife`s Grandmother; Schmidt&Rubin, Sig

The Wife`s Grandmother; Schmidt&Rubin, Sig

As the title say, I visited the wife`s grandmother today, to help clear some stuff for her. She turned 84 in September and was forced to stop shooting due to ill health (nothing to serious, but her eyesight isn`t waht it used to be) Prior to this I had shot with her for the previous 5 years and she got me into her club. Part of the stuff that she ws getting rid of was her gun collection, which had been amassed by herself and her late husband. The collection includes Schmidt&Rubins Langgewehr 1889, 1911 and Karabiner 1911 and 1931, aka K31, Stgw 57, Stgw 90, Sig pistols P210 and P220 and age old shooting accesories.

Sadly I will only keep the guns which are heirlooms or have sentimental value as I have more than enough of the older guns. Attached is a less than brilliant photo, but I hope it gives you an idea. The Sig at the bottom belonged to my brother in law who has no interest in shooting. It is his old military rifle. Sadly the picture does not show the fire selector which has a 1 shot, 3 shot and 20 shot (full auto) switch. However upon being discharged, the selector was adjusted so that it can only fire in semi shot mode. If anybody is interested, I will take some better quality photos and post them later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K├╝snacht (ZH)-20120317-00143.jpg  

Nice collection. My grandmother played Pitch and putt. I like your wife grandmother.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Ooh a 210.

David

Just out of interest, what calibre is the Schmid t& Rubins Langgewehr 1889?.
    If it's an "obsolete calibre" it may be "ownable" here with no licence.

fraser

ps...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Ooh a 210.

David
    Yes...same here, the road not taken when I had the chance (but not the money)
    Last edited by private fraser; 17-03-2012 at 17:41.

It`s still 7.5x55 Swiss so the calibre is still in existance.

I am happy to sell some. I can get an export license in 24 hours; in the UK, an import license can take up to 6 weeks. I can even recommend a freight forwarder with RFD status.

Conor I beg to differ the Model 1889 is in fact 7.5x53 and off ticket here. I actually imported one that was canton marked from Switzerland some years back. The 1889 had a three groove barrel and the 10 shot magazine which can be disengaged for single loading. It had to go some years back when finances were tight to pay something. Due to lack of space on my picturetrail account the album with it in was delelted to make for for others.

The Curio and relic forums has a Swiss Rifles forum and I just piched this off a post there:-

Ammo will probably be next to immposibble to find. If you get lucky, you might find some old GP-90, GP-90/03, or GP-90/23 that will not hang fire or misfire. You may reload the more modern 7.5X55 brass(really it is 7.5X55.5) as long as it's trimmed down a bit shorter. Using non paper patched bullets the Swiss's GP-90/23 ammo for the pre 1911 rifle types had brass measuring 54.5mm in length or about 2.146". Other than the cartridge brass lengths from the original GP-90's 7.5X53.5(2.106") to the lastest GP-11's 7.5X55.5(2.185"), all other brass specs are the same and you may use any 7.5 swiss resizing die for the 89 model's reloading needs(exception-redding does make a K-31 specific die that may not resize enough to chamber in an 89 model). best-o-luck
    Hmmm thinking about it I might have some photos of it on a disc somewhere. Will have to look them out.

British Hunter is in fact, correct.........my bad!

I have 2 1889s. I was led to believe that they were 7.5 Swiss and advised not to use GP 11 ammunition as the action was not strong enough for the pressure of this round. It wasn't explained to m that they were in fact different calibres. Corrected, I stand, by none other than our resident Parker Hale expert, BH. BH, you should add Schmidt Rubin to your area of expertise, well spotted.

Swiss Rifles gives you all the information. I'll keep my eyes open for 1 for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    British Hunter is in fact, correct.........my bad!

I have 2 1889s. I was led to believe that they were 7.5 Swiss and advised not to use GP 11 ammunition as the action was not strong enough for the pressure of this round. It wasn't explained to m that they were in fact different calibres. Corrected, I stand, by none other than our resident Parker Hale expert, BH. BH, you should add Schmidt Rubin to your area of expertise, well spotted.

Swiss Rifles gives you all the information. I'll keep my eyes open for 1 for sale.
    Conor 1, they are the same calibre, sort of as I believe the groove size of the 1889 is 0.311" if I recall correctly, but the cartridges case is shorter by about 2 mm and the cartridge also develops lower pressure. I have always had an interest in late 19th and early 20th century rifles and as I said owned a rather nice S-R Model 1889 for a number of years. I believe the original ammunition for the 1889 used paper patched bullets. That changed with the S-R 1896 again if memory serves me correctly when they switched to a round nosed Cupro nickel jackets bullet.

Now I know I still have quite a few of the card and metal charges for the Mdl 1889.

I nearly went for a M93 Swiss Mannlicher from the same source in Switzerland but could not afford it at the time.

Hi Conor, what's the FAS chambered in? 5.56 or 7.5? (Was shooting a 90 on Sunday. Fun afternoon actually: Various Glock's and my Sig P226 first half, second half: AK47, Sig 550 in 7.62 with Acog and heavy barrel and a 9mm Pistol Calibre Carbine thing.)

I might be interested if I can sort another slot...

210 =

Scrumbag