the start my big 6

down here in this part of devon i have mostly roe and on the ground at dorchester i very rarely have a sika passing so this year i set myself the challenge of shooting the big six january and febuary roe does culled so thats one
i was picking up some barley on a farm very close to my brother in laws farm at dorchester got chatting with the farmer told him i shoot not far from there mostly foxes and the odd roe and he mentioned that he had a fair herd of fallow so i explained that i was hoping to shoot the big 6 this year and a chance of a fallow would be great (well you never know i thought )sure enough we finished loading me on the brush and shovel he said that there was a lady that had the stalking rites on his land but he would give me the number of the chap she shoots with and that he would make a phone call to john.so a few days later i rang the number he gave me and lo and behold he had spoken to him and john and margeret would only be too happy to take me out (bloody excellent i thought )
so a date for my stalk was set it was to be 550 am last sunday i checked the weather lots of mist around and this place known for it. so up i got 45 min drive i arrived in plenty of time at just after 5 to 6 they turned up margeret and and a young man named john i was to go with john as margeret was going to drive round see if she could spot any. we stalked along a track saw 4 roe,then another 4 roe no fallow we walked along but the mist wouldnt lift we walked up across a rape field looked in another bowl still no fallow then we met with margeret and she knew where they might be so i was sent to walk the top of a bowl as john waited at the end but still no fallow eventually we decided that it was not going to happen due to the mist so we set a date the next day at 430 to meet and try again. we met and this time i was to go with margeret and we walked the same path as we did the day before this time no mist we got to the end of the track again this time i spotted 2 deer in the distance but they looked like roe, looking again margeret said no they fallow and i was sent off to get as close as i could so i walked down the hedge line till the deer disapeared out of my sight and worked my way towards them using the lie of the land to get myself closer eventually i was about 300yrds short so i started to belly crawl towards them they were just happily eating unaware of me being there i got to about 200 yrds out and the cover stopped and the deer were moving about so i thought what do i do if i go back theres no way im going to get any closer mmmmmm what to do.so i looked throught my scope the hind looked massive and her calf was moving around to much so i thought i dont want to mess this up so i waited and eventually the hind gave me a broadside shot so crosshairs on her power house i gently squeezed looking throught the scope i saw the bullet hit the ground just under her so i reloaded couldnt believe she was still stood there moved the cross hairs back up to the top of her shoulder and squeezed another round off this one found its mark 100 gr nosler bt 2506 right in the power house she flicked her front leg then just rolled over i waited the calf had gone by now and waited she lay there motionless so i walked in on her i got to her and sure enough she was bleeding nicely from the entry wound so i moved her into a spot better suited for the vehicle to pick both of us up with that john and margeret appeared so i did a green gralloch checked her for usual signs and we loaded her into a plastic bin and moved back to my waiting car i know what most of you reading this will be thinking long range stuff not stalking but i took the shot because i knew my equipment was capable did underestimate the distance but we all learning. this kind lady had already spent 3 hours the previous day and 2 hours this day on her ground so that i could try to achieve my goal for this year so im writing this not to brag not to boast about long range shot but to thank john john and margeret for taking me out using their time and fuel and allowing me to shoot a magnificent animal so thankyou john john and margeret i hope you enjoy the bottle and thankyou very much it will be one of those days il always remeber stu

Last edited:
Congratulations on the Deer but ........................................ Fallow...Hind?

Doe .......................... ole chap tis a Doe.

thankyou all hopefully part 2 muntjac will be coming on wednesday

Hi Stu

have you shot all six species of uk Deer or are you on a mission. I have shot all six it's a brilliant feeling when you have ticked the last box. Good luck on your next outing.

Jim

jimbo im on a mission this year get my first of each and then next year get the other sex i have shot so far roe doe and fallow doe .went to hampshire yesterday saw my first ever muntjac i shot at one but i think it hit a branch on its way through going up again next friday im hoping il do better now i got some idea of the ground and how these tricky little customers behave will keep you posted and will let you know when i get one .

jimbo im on a mission this year get my first of each and then next year get the other sex i have shot so far roe doe and fallow doe .went to hampshire yesterday saw my first ever muntjac i shot at one but i think it hit a branch on its way through going up again next friday im hoping il do better now i got some idea of the ground and how these tricky little customers behave will keep you posted and will let you know when i get one .

Hi Stu

If you have a Buttolo call use it Munty's will come running but you have to be ready as they can appear from nowhere when sqeeked. Or if you are good at sqeeking Charles Frederick Fox esquire Munty's will respond but have your witts about you as they can dissappear faster than they appear.
Good luck

Jim

i tried the buttalo on wed and as i didnt know the lie of the land there was a pit in front of me this big munty buck came out looked me in the eye and vanished dragging his 2 does with him but im going back next friday so look out muntys yer i come

Back