My first stalk today

shaun22/250

I've just got home after my first stalk which was in Hampshire a good 2 1/2 hour drive from me. I had arranged to meet Tim (hottopic) on here at 3:30 at his stalking ground. As it happened I got there at 3 so time for a coffee and say hi to everyone. After a few rounds on the range to check zero we headed off. Within 15 mins we came across a group of 4 Roe (3 does and a buck) but they had seen us first and moved on before we had any chance of a shot. Then moving on through the wood a few more Roe were on a hedgeline on our right but again no safe shot as they were on the brow of the hill. So working our way round to the high seat we came across another small group grazing on the edge of a wheat field and this time there was a possability of a shot. But first we had to negotiate a stock fence and crawl to a small gap in the under groath some 15 feet or so to get a clear line of sight. This achieved the shot was on, Tim indicated which one he wanted me to take and Within 45 mins of my first stalk my first deer was in the bag. Needless to say I was well chuffed, a good clean kill at around the 150 yard mark. after the grallock we continued to the high seat in the hopes of another before nightfall. Again not much of a wait say 20 mins when a nice medal Roe buck wounders into the rise feeding breifly before disapearing back into the wood. A few more mins pass then a Roe doe appears in the rise i bring the rifle round and get into a good possion and wait a few seconds waiting for her to turn side on so i can get a good clean shot, she kindly obliged and number 2 was in the bag. And to my surprise a second buck this one a definate Gold medal pops into the rise less than a minuet after the shot on the doe. He was a big lad and a lovely animal stood there for a good few minuets, bet he dosnt do that when he's in season but I will have to go back and see. Had a great evenings stalk with a perfect result and am looking forward to my next visit. Cheers Tim :D

Xelent ! Well done hope you have many more good days .....

ATB

Steve...............

Nice write up and good pic. Unfortunately it is an addictive hobby! Did you take the carcass home to eat the spoils of your first days stalking?

Nice write up and good pic. Unfortunately it is an addictive hobby! Did you take the carcass home to eat the spoils of your first days stalking?
Thanks, unfortunatly i didn't i am not kitted out at home to store any carcas, but i will sorting that out asap for next time.

Thanks, unfortunatly i didn't i am not kitted out at home to store any carcas, but i will sorting that out asap for next time.

A sharp knife, a chopping board and a bit of freezer room and you will be away! Its easier than you think! The best bit of the lot is eating something you've shot, taste a million times better than anything you will have had before! Good luck with it, and loads of advice on here if you have questions on butchering etc!

A sharp knife, a chopping board and a bit of freezer room and you will be away! Its easier than you think! The best bit of the lot is eating something you've shot, taste a million times better than anything you will have had before! Good luck with it, and loads of advice on here if you have questions on butchering etc!
my shooting buds a butcher so the butchery is coverd, next time one will be coming home with me.

Last edited:

+1 stalker.308

Well done and nice report. It was good to have met you and good luck with your own ground. We wont be taking anymore out on the does this year, I want to shoot on myself.

I saw both those big bucks yesterday, one is a proper job!

Back