Thread: Bucks look huge in velvet

Bucks look huge in velvet

Was out stalking yesterday afternoon and came across a big old buck which i have been watching in velvet. His head looks huge in velvet and a thought he was going to be a cracker. Well was watching him again, 1 antler has a slight bend so i know it was definitly him but what a dispointing head, his antlers are like pencils out of velvet. He looks a fair age, heads down when walking and he looks all stiff, so i think hes proberly past his best. What do yous think ? will he make a good cull beast.

Anyways ended up with to yearlings so it was a good morning and evening stalk. Also saw plenty bucks around. Cheers
    fs25

They always look huge in velvet. I've been let down a few times having watched them months before getting all excited then they turn out to be nothing great at all. Bit like a push up bra, antlers in velvet if you ask me!

GT

Cheers mate

[QUOTE= Bit like a push up bra, antlers in velvet if you ask me!

GT[/QUOTE]

Moose

They always look much bigger than they are in velvet, as to whether he is a suitable cull beast or not,thats a bit more difficult as antlers can vary quite a bit year on year, if he has reached middle age or more probably, you say he is walking with his head down how he holds his head when walking can be a good indication of age a young beast will hold his head and neck erect, as he gets older he will carry his neck lower until as an old animal he will walk with his neck almost level with his back.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    They always look much bigger than they are in velvet, as to whether he is a suitable cull beast or not,thats a bit more difficult as antlers can vary quite a bit year on year, if he has reached middle age or more probably, you say he is walking with his head down how he holds his head when walking can be a good indication of age a young beast will hold his head and neck erect, as he gets older he will carry his neck lower until as an old animal he will walk with his neck almost level with his back.
    Aye his neck is pretyy level with his back, as soon as i saw him i thought he was past his best. See how he looks once the season arrives. Thanks for help.

Fs25,

Most average bucks will look pretty big in velvet, but the real special ones look abnormally big, almost like a peruke. From my own experience of this area I've found that colour of velvet also gives you a few clues, darker colour is usually an indication of heavy perling and often good volume.

Billeder||Galleri - Store bukke| Råvildt og Medaljebukke

Cheers,
    Mark.
    Last edited by mj robson; 19-03-2012 at 20:53.

Thanks Mark, interesting tip and what great photos on that site that is, I only wish I spoke Danish!

Nick

Google translate does a reasonable job, just paste the web address into the box.

Andrew