Thread: 1886 win.

Question 1886 win.

Hi all
    Has any member out there ever shot or owned a mod-1886-winchester in 45-70. As i though i may fix one up with a tang sight as my 44mag and try it for
    wild bore?. All help as regards loads performance ect. would be appreciated. As you can see i am stuck in a time wharp as lever rifles go but i like the old
    stuff and find stalking challenging useing them.
    All the best Lever Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lever Man View Post
    Hi all
    Has any member out there ever shot or owned a mod-1886-winchester in 45-70. As i though i may fix one up with a tang sight as my 44mag and try it for
    wild bore?. All help as regards loads performance ect. would be appreciated. As you can see i am stuck in a time wharp as lever rifles go but i like the old
    stuff and find stalking challenging useing them.
    All the best Lever Man.
    I owned an original, but I'm assuming you're talking about one of the recent reproductions?? My original was a good shooter. It was nicked and worn and someone had crudely shortened the barrel to 20 inches (which I fixed) and was still more than I could afford at $4/hr but I paid it off and shot it quite a bit. I used cast bullets (.460") and black powder equivalent loads. One advantage over the Marlin is that you can use heavier/longer bullets.

You will find that the rip snorting data developed for the Marlins will not be appropriate for the repro Winchesters. I have seen the new 1886 listed as a "modern gun" in the past, or "strong lever gun" but most data will specify the Marlin 1895 for the mid power loads, then "Modern Rifles of Modern Design" like the Ruger No1 and the Siamese Mauser 98 for the high power loads. You'll want to stay at the low-mid end of the Marlin data for the repro guns, I think.~Muir

Hi Muir.
    Thanks for the info very interesting. The 1886 i am looking at is made by CHIPPA ARMS made in Italy and 100% as per the original with a 28 inch barrell or 22inch.
    All the best Lever Man.