Thread: 2nd hand action suggestions

2nd hand action suggestions

boys,

any suggestions for 2nd hand actions needed for a .223 project in a sub 150 category? also, what other size actions than 'original .223' would be suitable for this calibre via a simple rebarreling job?

thanks for your input.

PKL may I suggest you check the price of the barrel and fitting before you go further. I found that the prices quoted for fitting a barrel were wildly in the realms of fantasty. One quote was close to 900 .

It's often cheaper to buy a suitable rifle in the calibre and chambering you fancy.

i would try spend abit more on a action, well your likely find a cz action of some sort to rebarrel to 223. you more then likely find for that price it will need bluing
    unless you fall lucky.

any action with the small bolt face could be used for the 223 rebarrel, like 17 rem,222,204.

as brithunter said a rebarrel job is anything from 650 to 1000 ! depending on who does the work, what barrel you have etc etc.
    my local smith fitted mine, screwcut,proofed, invisible thread cap and bead blast if you want it done for 300.

but the downfall to that is you need to supply your own barrel blank. which is good if you can find a cheap one. but finding them is the harder part.
    otherwise if he supplys it its going to be around 700 !

As has been said, it is usually easier and cheaper to buy a donor rifle and just chop the bits you don't want (Flog them on eblag and make some pennies back!)

Mike

I like Savage actions for their ability to switch calibers. The bolt heads are interchangable so you can easily switch calibers (like .223 to 308), the barrels are easily threaded and fit. Here in the States they are popular "switch-barrel" actions. Guys swap barrels at home with minimal tools. It's that easy.~Muir

thanks for your input chaps.

I've been offered a great barrel for about a hundred squid, pre-chambered, so would just need fitting. I'd be quite happy to restore an action and re-blue myself.

whilst I like the mauser style actions on the musgrave and cz/brno, etc, I find the massive extractor claw to slow down and reduce the smoothness of bolt travel and cycling rounds. Whilst it's great for DG or similar perhaps, I don't feel the need for a .223, where ultra smooth bolt travel and short bolt throw are paramount for varminting. so I'm thinking maybe a crappy old remmy action or like muir said, a savage (but savage may be hard to find at a good price of course in the UK 2nd hand market).

if you know of anything suitable kicking around, please give me a heads up if you don't mind. I would want it with the bottom metal and trigger integrated of course.

Muir,

If only it were that easy over here.

Any component part of a rifle - action, barrel, (and now moderators have joined the list) is tightly controlled, so it's killing the trade unless you're an RFD. Amateur gunsmithing is pretty much unknown.

Secondhand stock is so cheap compared to the prices commanded by expert 'smiths that it's often a mug's game to rebarrel anything.

Don't you have Proof laws in the U.S? That's another problem in the UK.
    Last edited by Sinistral; 19-03-2012 at 12:13.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I like Savage actions for their ability to switch calibers. The bolt heads are interchangable so you can easily switch calibers (like .223 to 308), the barrels are easily threaded and fit. Here in the States they are popular "switch-barrel" actions. Guys swap barrels at home with minimal tools. It's that easy.~Muir
    +1 on that. They're quite cheap to buy at auctions I go to.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    +1 on that. They're quite cheap to buy at auctions I go to.
    Roger,

count me 'in the market if you come across something decent and cheap, savage, CAM (esp), etc.

you can always give me a call if you come across something - 07708188142. I 'do' owe you one after letting you down on the .30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Muir,

If only it were that easy over here.

Any component part of a rifle - action, barrel, (and now moderators have joined the list) is tightly controlled, so it's killing the trade unless you're an RFD. Amateur gunsmithing is pretty much unknown.

Secondhand stock is so cheap compared to the prices commanded by expert 'smiths that it's often a mug's game to rebarrel anything.

Don't you have Proof laws in the U.S? That's another problem in the UK.
    No. None of that Proof Law silliness here.
    In the end tho, even were your smith to do the work of installing the barrel, he couldn't say how painstakingly difficult it was. It's remarkably easy to chamber a barrel for a Savage. Far easier than any other kind of CF firearm.~Muir