Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: putting cheap ammo down your rifle

putting cheap ammo down your rifle

The short of it is would you fire cheap say barnaul or as nasty down your rifle and what are the issues with such 'crap' ammo. An rfd was greatly offended when I explained I wouldn't pay 60 per 100 for his 'top quality' german surplus when I said that I could get twice the ammo for the same price. He told me it would rip the rifling out of my barrel

The way I see it is that after 3000 rounds at that rfd's price the 900 quid difference could be spent on a new rifle, your thoughts?

I believe that barrel wear is down to erosion from burning propellant so I doubt that cheaper (maybe steel core bullet ammo) is going to damage the barrel any more than premium grade stuff.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    The short of it is would you fire cheap say barnaul or as nasty down your rifle and what are the issues with such 'crap' ammo. An rfd was greatly offended when I explained I wouldn't pay 60 per 100 for his 'top quality' german surplus when I said that I could get twice the ammo for the same price. He told me it would rip the rifling out of my barrel

The way I see it is that after 3000 rounds at that rfd's price the 900 quid difference could be spent on a new rifle, your thoughts?
    Without wanting to start another Blaser love-fest, whatever I've put down my .308 (Privi, surplus FMJ, homeloads, Norma) seems to work fine.

I do like the idea of ammo that will "rip the rifling" out of the barrel - just the sort of thing you'd want when you're facing the enemy

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

'Cheap' ammo has a smaller profit margin for RFDs so, unless he can sell it in bulk with a quick turnover it is not in his interest to push that over his Premium ammo.
    The days when cheap ammo meant corrosive powders are long gone so if you are happy with the performance of cheap ammo, fill your boots.
    I put three PPU .243 100grn ammo through my Blaser the other day and the target looked like an odd shaped (so tight) clover leaf whereas using three Federal 100 grn looked like a clover leaf with a bit chewed out of the middle (not as tight).
    The difference in price was 13.00 so PPU for me every time.

PS, I have done a similar thing using PPU 150grn in my Remington .308 and PPU 50grn ammo in my Remington .222 .
    Last edited by EMcC; 19-03-2012 at 12:33.

PPU is generally consistent and your rifle either likes it or not, other 'cheap' ammo is sometimes where you take your life in your hands.

There were a lot of posts on people using Chinese ammo about a year ago and it causing some surprises.

IIRC the main concern was that it was running very hot.
    Someone broke a few rounds down and the usual suspects were found, different powder weights and visibly different powders (ball/extruded) in the same box, and very different H2O weights.

See that's what really gets me, the guy will tell you what you need to hear to sell you stuff you don't really want price wise. I did buy a couple hundred magnum primers though.

Was that chinese stuff Norinco or a name like that?

60 per 100 for his 'top quality' german surplus and rip the rifling out of your barrel

Paul the guy is having a laugh, more like 40 per 100 is the going rate. The guy is talking absolute rubbish.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Not affraid to say Low Mill Ranges by the way.... Quite happy with MEN though at 39 /100. It groups sub inch although it has hard primers which misfire now and again while you do get corrosion on some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    60 per 100 for his 'top quality' german surplus and rip the rifling out of your barrel

Paul the guy is having a laugh, more like 40 per 100 is the going rate. The guy is talking absolute rubbish.
    40 per 100 - not around here it's not!

What are they asking in your part of the woods dodgyrog for surplus .308 ammo? It's normally advertised (DAG and MEN) for between 39 - 42 per 100 most places I've seen it. It seems to be the only stuff knocking around at the moment, all the south african stuff seems to have dried up as has the Random Green unless someone saw the light and deep sixed it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.