Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 scope

45-70 scope

Looking for recommendations with regard to a scope for the top of a Marlin 45-70. Will be used at the range and in the future stalking deer & boar. Quite happy to have ideas for target and stalking or something that will cover both activities. Fancy something with one with an illuminated reticule, I do not want it to fall to pieces but got to watch the budget...now there,s a challenge...Cheers
    Last edited by KEITHKILVO1; 19-03-2012 at 14:08.

How about a 1.5-6x42. On low mag would be good for driven boar and higher magnification would be good ok for normal stalking ranges!

If your not fussed about the driven boar side of things I would go for a 4-16 x 50/56, should be good for stalking and good magnification for range work.

Just my personal opinion I'm sure there will be more coming form the others!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Hi Keith,

I had the same dilemma but ended up putting a Swarovski 1-6x24 EE (extended eye relief) on mine. I didn't want to spend so much but all in all it was the best option for what I wanted it to do and having a look through a friend's one made my mind up for me. If you are wanting to do some driven shooting the field of view is class leading on that scope. Coupled with Warne quick detach mounts it comes on and off and can be mounted in such a way as to not interfere with the factory ghost ring sight. On x6 it does push the eye relief a little bit with the scope so far forward (I find I have to get my face well forward on the stock), but in the 1-3 range is it fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000231.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	13712

The only down side is the price tag.

Option 2 was to put an Eotech type (or equivalent) red dot site on. Great for driven shooting but not ideal for target! Maybe you could get a mid range red dot and a mid range scope and just swap between the two for driven and target/stalking. The weaver rail makes this pretty easy to do.

But if you can dig deep for the Swarovski you won't regret it!

Alex

On e-bay now but be quick only a couple of hours left.

Pecar 1-4x20

Item number: 180840253621

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Hi Keith,

I had the same dilemma but ended up putting a Swarovski 1-6x24 EE (extended eye relief) on mine. I didn't want to spend so much but all in all it was the best option for what I wanted it to do and having a look through a friend's one made my mind up for me. If you are wanting to do some driven shooting the field of view is class leading on that scope. Coupled with Warne quick detach mounts it comes on and off and can be mounted in such a way as to not interfere with the factory ghost ring sight. On x6 it does push the eye relief a little bit with the scope so far forward (I find I have to get my face well forward on the stock), but in the 1-3 range is it fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000231.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	13712

The only down side is the price tag.

Option 2 was to put an Eotech type (or equivalent) red dot site on. Great for driven shooting but not ideal for target! Maybe you could get a mid range red dot and a mid range scope and just swap between the two for driven and target/stalking. The weaver rail makes this pretty easy to do.

But if you can dig deep for the Swarovski you won't regret it!

Alex
    Did have a look through the same scope at Sportsman's, Dorset at the weekend, fantastic scope loved the idea of the extended eye relief + a great illuminated reticule and if I could I would, but the price tag sent me all of a quiver.

just get one of these VXR 1.25x 4 circle dot Leupould's or put a reddot on it.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1030151.JPG  

Reiver,

I am looking for something similar to put on a .44, but don't fancy a German price tag. What did the Lepould cost?

Regards

Mike

The Pecar sold for 152 including postage.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    Reiver,

I am looking for something similar to put on a .44, but don't fancy a German price tag. What did the Lepould cost?

Regards

Mike
    The scope cost 320.00 inc shiping from the US. Gmk would not import me one when i asked them if they would

I sold a weaver 1.5 x 4.5 old type el passo model to a member of this site for his 45.70 and I think it works well, best place for this type of scope is rimfire central, don,t worry about customs just get them to post as gift. I have had the e o tec on my 3030, good for woodland shooting, but beware of replicas