300 Win Mag

thomas

300 Win Mag.

Anybody use one of these? Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thanks

All true but......

Legal in European countries unlike 308 and 3006, a good choice for American hunting and a lot of species in Africa.

So ive read from previous posts :confused:

Daemon

:D

Had one once. Shot a few deer and fox with it. Just to much gun for woodland stalking :lol: .

Ah but with Remington's "Managed Recoil" loads it becomes a whole new ting altogether. If you reload there is a lot to be said to loading it down with a big heavy bullet (designed for a 308) to about 2,700 fps. That way little meat damage.

I fancy a 300WM for hill work although it would be sat in my cabinet with the other guns most of the time! ;)

Thanks everyone.

I have a chance of some shooting on the continent and was tempted with this calibre as I would be able to take my own rifle; I could have also done a like for like variation on my FAC. I will probably stick with my trusty 30-06 which is certainly enough gun for the fallow and boar on my patch.

I have a chance of some shooting on the continent and was tempted with this calibre as I would be able to take my own rifle; I could have also done a like for like variation on my FAC.

I disagree! For continental use it is excellent and, as you know, not a military calibre with ammunition being widely available in France. And in the UK those 300 Win. Mag. Managed Recoil Loads of 150 grain bullet at 2,650 fps

Another suggestion is 7mm Remington Magnum (again in UK with 7mm Rem. Mag. Managed Recoil Loads of 140 grain bullet at 2,710 fps).

On a "smaller" cartridge popular on the continent for wild boar are 270 Winchester with 150 grain bullet of 155 grain (SAKO) or 160 grain where minimum 10 grams is specified, 280 Remington and 7 x 64.

There is an good Sako Finnbear in 7mm Rem. Mag. somewhere on t'internet in UK with a Pecar 3-7 for about £495! And you'll see lots of BSA CF2 in this calibre.

Hi enfield, a friend of mine has used a 7mm Rem. Mag for over 20 years and swears by it! I have read a bit about the Managed Recoil Loads, interesting stuff.

[/quote]

I disagree! For continental use it is excellent and, as you know, not a military calibre with ammunition being widely available in France. And in the UK those 300 Win. Mag. Managed Recoil Loads of 150 grain bullet at 2,650 fps

Another suggestion is 7mm Remington Magnum (again in UK with 7mm Rem. Mag. Managed Recoil Loads of 140 grain bullet at 2,710 fps).

On a "smaller" cartridge popular on the continent for wild boar are 270 Winchester with 150 grain bullet of 155 grain (SAKO) or 160 grain where minimum 10 grams is specified, 280 Remington and 7 x 64.

There is an good Sako Finnbear in 7mm Rem. Mag. somewhere on t'internet in UK with a Pecar 3-7 for about £495! And you'll see lots of BSA CF2 in this calibre.[/quote]

I am intrested in a 300WM or maybee a 7mm rem mag. Could you expand further on the "Managed Recoil Loads"

The Sako sounds a good buy, have you got a link?

The Sako would be an excellent buy. Snap it up!

I have the very same in .300wm and it is a cracker.

Cheers

Z

I've neither heard of nor dealt with "the London Gun Company" although if it is anyone to do with the old "London Armoury" on Commercial Road I'd steer a wide berth based on my experience.

Here is the link...the price is £465.00...but I've only seen the listing. Hope it is the bargain it looks.

http://www.londongunroom.com/firearms.htm

The Managed Recoil Loads are marketed by Remington. You can get details at

www.remington.com

and then have to look at "ammunition" and "Managed Recoil". To get the ballistics you need to use the comparison tool.

The idea of these is that it gives similar performance in terms of trajectory to the standard full power load but with. I understand, 60% of the recoil.

So, in effect, you are using the equivalent of a 30-06 or 308 or a 7mm-08 or 7x57 in the old 275 Rigby version.

Excuse me for being so pernickity but....................
If you buy a .300 win mag, why would you want to "download" it or bugger about with "managed recoil" loads? it sort of defeats the point of having one, doesnt it?

I know someone who uses one, when he hits a roe it many times it bursts the gut even on a good heart shot.

Incoming I suppose but I can take it :p

If you buy a .300 win mag, why would you want to "download" it or bugger about with "managed recoil" loads? it sort of defeats the point of having one, doesnt it?

I know someone who uses one, when he hits a roe it many times it bursts the gut even on a good heart shot.

You seem to have asked and answered your own question here?

Q: "Why would you want to download it?"
A: "Many times it bursts the gut even on a good heart shot."

Plus it is a lot easier to download a 300 H & H or Win Mag to duplicate a 308 than it is to load up a 308 to duplicate a 300 H & H or Win Mag!

Makes perfect sense to me. A loaded down rifle with "Managed Recoil" loads off the shelf for everyday use on deer but with the ability, again off the shelf, with standard cartridges easily available in "foreign parts" to use on wild boar, elk, or for long range, 300 yard, mountain use on mouflon or the like.

And all this in a non-military calibre that isn't the virtually unobtainable in UK or USA calibres of 7x64 or 8x68.

A real "double duty" gun that can do two things well with the flexibility of these recent "Managed Recoil" loads that extend the cartridges' flexibility to truly be a useful deer cartridge in the UK.

The same reason I actually now download my 270 to about 2,700 to 2,800 fps with a 140 or 155 grain bullet now I'm mostly woodland stalking.

Depends what you want to use it for. It's too much gun for smaller deer if that's what you mainly shoot, but I agree that it's a calibre you can take abroad for bigger stuff. 30-06 is more versatile, or even .308 perhaps

OK, points taken, but if you are shooting Red/Roe is'nt it a tad "too much gun" just my opinion, thats all

OK, points taken, but if you are shooting Red/Roe is'nt it a tad "too much gun" just my opinion, thats all.

Yes. Absolutely. It is only really now, I would say, that unless you are a handloader, that with these Managed Recoil Load velocities it has gained a true level of velocity sensible for the UK.

Think of it as a "modern" 280 Ross or 275 H & H Magnum - in the Managed Recoil Loads - and you can see where I'm coming from with this.

I dabbled with a 300 win mag for a while. I used it primarily for range work so can't comment on the meat damage but i honestly wouldn't bother. I know of 3 other guys who have them and we were forever experimenting and trying to work out loads.

I'd opt for a 30-06.

Win mag

Hi Thomas

I have a .300 Win Mag Sako Finnlight.
It shoots as soft as with a PES on the end, I thought it was going to be a bit of a monster but it's fine, I've shot Roe and Fallow with it and I'm planning on taking it hill stalking too as well as Mouflon and Ibex when time and finances allow, would worry about shooting a Muntjac with it either so long as it wasn't the Texas heart shot!

Regards

Jonathan

Back