Thread: Salt/Mineral blocks

Salt/Mineral blocks

I've got one piece of ground where there is a group of roe that always stay close to a boundary hedge about 200 yards from my high seat. The seat can't be moved closer, and the proximity of roads, houses etc means that stalking on foot isn't really an option. I don't shoot the ground heavily. Would a salt/mineral block, or possibly one of the attractant blocks sold by Bushwear, be worth trying in these circumstances? The landowner is keen to have the deer numbers reduced, so I'm likely to be coming under a bit of pressure before too long!

Much as I dislike the idea of shooting over bait, why not place a pheasant feeder or such like in a safe area and lay a grain trail to draw them in? If they have to go, and that is the only possible way of ensuring a safe shot, it has to be done.

(Let me know if you want any help!)
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I've got one piece of ground where there is a group of roe that always stay close to a boundary hedge about 200 yards from my high seat. The seat can't be moved closer, and the proximity of roads, houses etc means that stalking on foot isn't really an option. I don't shoot the ground heavily. Would a salt/mineral block, or possibly one of the attractant blocks sold by Bushwear, be worth trying in these circumstances? The landowner is keen to have the deer numbers reduced, so I'm likely to be coming under a bit of pressure before too long!
    Hello Moonraker.

While I understand the comment from Irwch, about shooting over bait, sometimes, when the circumstances dictate it, you need to be flexible.

I have a similar situation on a difficult 15 acre permission, and have recently, and very successfully used both the Aniseed block, and the Molasses block from Bushwear to remove a few Muntjac, and Roe does. While it took a couple of days for the deer to approach the blocks, once they got a taste for them and moved away from the boundary / footpath / road, I was able to get 5 sperate, and clean shots, over 3 days.

Once I had culled the numbers I needed. I removed the blocks, and wrapped them up in case I need them again - for that one location. I would not normally stoop to these tactics, but if it is that - for a limited result, or lose the permission, the answer is obvious. Sorry Irwch...

I have also used crushed apples on this permission, but they got eaten so quickly, I had to go to the licks for more durability..

Good luck.

Neil.

No apology necessary, Neil. You had to resolve a situation and clearly did so in an effective and thoughtful manner. I'm sure Moonraker will do the same.

Neil and Lwrch, thanks for the replies. I've just ordered an aniseed block and oil from Bushwear. I spoke to my landowner to check that he was happy for me to use a block, and before I'd finished saying 'hello' he asked me when I was going to sort a few more of his deer out! I've never needed to shoot over bait of any sort before, but will need to do so now to keep the landowner happy.

You definitely sound like you need some help with that sorting...

Might be a bit tight in a single seat! I'll have a look around on some of my other bits of ground, and see if I can find a cull buck for you to add a notch to the stock of that nice new Sako Bavarian!

I had the same issue and used the Munchies blocks from Bushwear and they worked perfectly. Think they were only 10 for 2 ?