Thread: Wild Boar in Dorset

Wild Boar in Dorset

Folks.

A friend is getting complaints about the damage caused to farmland on his Dorset estate.

Night before last there were fifteen seen on one field!

Is there anyone interested in coming down and sitting out for them?

Shooting will be the two weeks either side of each full moon. Cost would be 100 per night. Carcass remains property of the estate but can be bought at market rate.

Expressions of interest by PM please.

Rgds Ian

dorset

Definately, but i don't have wild boar on my ticket. I am close though on the Isle of Wight.
    Mack

The estate rifle provision could be employed if you have a problem with your certificate wording.

Lamps are not used on the ground, which means the pigs tend to move naturally and do not spook at the sight of lights in the next field. Gen 3 NV kit is available if you are unsure as to the illumination offered by your sights.

They run to a pretty good size, as you can see from the picture. Ugly beast isn't it?

Rgds Ian

How does the wording have to read on your FAC for boar. For my .308 it reads it is for deer, vermin and zeroing does this cover boar?? Are boar vermin or does the FAC have to specifically mention boar?

Renard

My belief is that having 'vermin' on your ticket is just as valid as having 'wild boar' - at the end of the day, they are being shot as a agricultural pest and there are NO laws regarding their shooting or seasons etc. If there were ever an issue, I feel sure that you have a valid defense based on the LAW as it stands, and the wording of your FAC.

Vermin is a term applied to various animal species regarded as pests or nuisances and especially to those associated with the carrying of disease. Since the term is defined in relation to human activities, which species are included will vary from area to area and even person to person.

Here in the SW, I have my license specifically conditioned for wild boar - strangely, rabbits are not mentioned by name but I assume they fall under vermin!

Quote Originally Posted by IanF
    Renard

My belief is that having 'vermin' on your ticket is just as valid as having 'wild boar' - at the end of the day, they are being shot as a agricultural pest and there are NO laws regarding their shooting or seasons etc. If there were ever an issue, I feel sure that you have a valid defense based on the LAW as it stands, and the wording of your FAC.

Vermin is a term applied to various animal species regarded as pests or nuisances and especially to those associated with the carrying of disease. Since the term is defined in relation to human activities, which species are included will vary from area to area and even person to person.

Here in the SW, I have my license specifically conditioned for wild boar - strangely, rabbits are not mentioned by name but I assume they fall under vermin!
    A word of caution here Ian, the general understanding is, and also Home Office guidance, that boar have to be specifically mentioned on the FAC and that any general inclusion as vermin or any other animal is not sufficient. Your own rifle is fine as you state that boar are specified but visitors relying on non specific conditions may come a cropper if challenged.

If this was not the case you could find someone using a .243 with the wording that you quote and this would be wholly unsuitable for boar as again the HO guidelines suggest a .270 minimum implying that the question of boar has to be specifically considered for the rifle.

I agree with paul k.

If you wish to shoot Boar and you have the appropriate calibre it must be on your FAC or you are breaking the terms of your certificate.

This was how it was explained to me when I enquired at Norfolk FLO about shooting boar in the UK, so I sent my FAC in and had it added no problem.

This may well be different in other area's as I dont belive all FLO's sing from the same hymn sheet, to be safe check with your's.

Good luck

Max

Gents

I quite agree with everything you say!

Certainly, appropriate calibre is important - especially to someone unused to the physiology of our friend Sus scrofa. To repeat, I am the owner of a FAC with a 'Wild Boar' condition, so am fully aware of the view of at least one FLO.

Maybe I should have highlighted that it is MY OPINION that should there EVER be a problem, that the wording on most certificates would provide for a valid defense in any court of law. Note, these animals (not recognised in UK game / firearms law) are being shot as an agricultural pest - consult the Oxford English Dictionary for a definition of the word vermin, then imagine any barrister conducting a defense.

Apologies to all, we divert from the point of the thread. As the contentious issue is merely my *opinion, could we allow this point to rest or at least start a dedicated post?

* 'Opinions are like your a**, everyone has their own!'

Folks, I will not be responding to PMs for a couple days - that way, we will have an idea of the level of interest. In the meantime, please include contact email/phone number in any PM so I can easily answer any queries.

Rgds Ian