Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Travelling through France with Firearms by road

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lancs / Cumbria Border
    Posts
    1,805

    Travelling through France with Firearms by road

    Hypothetical question;

    Travel through France to a sporting shoot in Europe with a few people.


    Some are shooting 308, (which one cannot use or hold in France as its a mil calibre)


    Can one legally travel through this country, with firerams in that calibre and with ammunition (by road)

  2. #2
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Hypothetical question;

    Travel through France to a sporting shoot in Europe with a few people.


    Some are shooting 308, (which one cannot use or hold in France as its a mil calibre)


    Can one legally travel through this country, with firerams in that calibre and with ammunition (by road)
    Get the permits, comme ša.

    http://www.douane.gouv.fr/data/file/4314.pdf

  3. #3
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Or take your pick of reading material from here.

    http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=583

  4. #4
    I can't give you a certain answer to your question Redmist however friends of mine have travelled through France with 7.62mm target rifles to competitions in Germany in the past with no problems whatsoever. I would suggest an email to the French embassy in London to confirm that this is possible. I know that Buckup off this site attempted to get a reply from the French embassy previously when he wanted to drive through France to a holiday home in Italy carrying a .30-06 rifle and failed to get a satisfactory reply which surprises me as when I asked for advise on a firearms matter some years ago I received a full and accurate reply within a couple of days.
    One thing that you will need to ensure when carrying firearms in France is that guns are secured in the vehicle even if only a trigger lock is used.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  5. #5
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Does posting relevant links just not work on this site?

    Or, will I just take it personally?

    The links I posted above are in English and take you directly to the French Customs Authority and tell you what the rules are, which forms you require to fill in and to whom you must address your applications for permits and/or seek further advice. Frankly, short of actually doing the work for people I can't see what would be of more use.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Some are shooting 308, (which one cannot use or hold in France as its a mil calibre)
    A common misconception - there are many military calibre weapons owned and used in France but they are controlled under a separate licensing procedure and with specific constraints.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Does posting relevant links just not work on this site?

    Or, will I just take it personally?

    The links I posted above are in English and take you directly to the French Customs Authority and tell you what the rules are, which forms you require to fill in and to whom you must address your applications for permits and/or seek further advice. Frankly, short of actually doing the work for people I can't see what would be of more use.
    Good morning,

    I think the links you provided are guidelines when importing or transferring firearms to France (final destination). My personal experience is that there should not be a problem driving through France with a final destination elsewhere.

    Only recently I travelled to Germany with a .308 and 30-06 and declared the weapons at the Eurotunnel and experienced no problem at all. Of course, I was in the possesion of an EFP, FAC, copy of invitation, Germand Jagd Schein and had taken the proper security measures in the car etc..

    I had also spoken to the Chasseur de France (The National Federation of Hunters) confirming the above. However, I tried to get a written confirmation from the Chambre Syndicale Nationale des Armuriers but they never replied.

    Regards

    Marcel

  8. #8
    Take it personally Tamus.

    What permits are you talking about - as you will only be transitting France my understanding is that all that will be required is your European Firearms Passport and written confirmation of an invitation to shoot, but I would certainly want that confirmed by email at least from the relevant authority.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Knottaclu View Post
    A common misconception - there are many military calibre weapons owned and used in France but they are controlled under a separate licensing procedure and with specific constraints.
    Quite correct - Permis de Tir rather than a Permis de Chasse. (please pardon my poor French).
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  10. #10
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Take it personally Tamus.

    What permits are you talking about - as you will only be transitting France my understanding is that all that will be required is your European Firearms Passport and written confirmation of an invitation to shoot, but I would certainly want that confirmed by email at least from the relevant authority.
    Duly taken.

    Ok. Redmist says he may be travelling through France. He does not actually say (despite your assumption) whether or not he wishes to shoot in France at all or only "elsewhere" in Europe. We can therefore only infer it at this stage. He does not say whether he is going hunting or target shooting. He does not say how many guns or how much ammunition his party will wish to transport or in how many vehicles.

    Therefore, there seemed no point me, or anyone, trying to generate some sort of generic, bland, imprecise, one size fits all, Yes you can or No you can't answer. It is clearly not that simple.

    Hence the links to the advice, the advisors, i.e. the "authority" and the proper processes.

    I had intended that Redmist could then work out for himself what he will require to do next, since he presumably does have all the answers which we don't.

    Saw ree.

Similar Threads

  1. firearms ownership in france
    By scotch_egg in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-02-2011, 00:22
  2. Penrhyn Road Kingston Firearms address change
    By tedsalad in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 11:20
  3. Anyone Travelling to Arran
    By Mannlicher_Stu in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 11:01
  4. Travelling to Ireland with Firearms
    By Chris Rob in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 23:41
  5. travelling to Germany
    By buckup in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 08:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •