Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver damage

Liver damage

Shot a doe kid this morning. Clearfell area. Sheep adjacent in field. Nice condition but small. All lymph nodes fine. I left the liver in the carcase to take home. When I got to the larder the liver told a different story. Is this liver fluke or something more sinister.
    Attachment 13799Attachment 13800Attachment 13801Attachment 13802
    First picture shows one of the lumps from the outside.
    2 and 4 shows the internal damage. Veins were white some with grey sludge in.
    pic three shows russet gritty patches on the surface of the liver.
    Jim

having read through the posts on the liver The thickening of the pipes through the liver (seen white) is common in roe. I went and rechecked the liver. You can see a large infestation of fluke. The hard discoloured areas I take it are dead areas on the liver killed off by the fluke. As I said the rest of the deer is fine including the lymph nodes. However I do believe the kid would not have survived considering percentage damaged. Jim

As discussed Jim no doubt liver fluke and obviously having it's effects on the development of the animal.

Good pictures Jim.

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Clearly liver fluke damage , causes inflammation of the bile ducts as they travel around , but i can also see what looks like Tenuicolis tracking through the liver ( the greenish looking patches ) this is the cystic stage of the dog tapeworm Taenia Hydatigena and the sheep/deer are the intermediate host in their life cycle .I see it very often at work (meat inspector) and just the liver is rejected as the carcase should be ok unless it is a very extreme case which could result in Anaemia .
    Brian

I have circled the fluke!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liver damage 003r.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	13809

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thanks, having seen the fluke they were flatter than expected. What shocked me was the damage. As in picture one the area was hard and dead. There were about 4 areas like this on the liver. my dogs will need dosing. Katy the inseason springer disappeared and a black lab was hanging about. One of the other pair disappeared with the splean. They are due worming so will give it a few days and do them. Jim

They can't catch fluke by eating liver containing adults. The eggs have to go through a maturation stage in a mud snail. Fear not.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    They can't catch fluke by eating liver containing adults. The eggs have to go through a maturation stage in a mud snail. Fear not.
    Fantastic life cycle well worth a look, anybody that interested.... Lymnia trunctula the snail if i remember correctly, long time since i did my MI...

Fluke are certainly on the increase, and we are not immune, sucking grass or picking wild water cress(and eating it) are a big NO NO
    Last edited by nell; 21-03-2012 at 19:40.