Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merkel Helix

Merkel Helix

Been looking for something different!!,
    has anyone used a helix yet,
    The write ups look good but can seem to find one to have a look at?

Andy
    Last edited by andymarsh; 22-03-2012 at 09:17. Reason: cant spell

i have used one and they are one of the best rifles i have used they have a shorter bolt throw then a blaser they are easyer to strip then a blaser they are lighter then a blaser and more accurate i could not rate it highly anothe and they take weaver mounts so they dont cost 350 each

I ordered my RX Helix months ago and was told the at the time that it would arrive in eight weeks. That came and went but being the Mr impatence I told them were they could put it and started making inquiries as to how quick I could buy my second choice a Blazer. Give the of the Helix importers their due it took less than twenty four hours for them to send the demo model for me to use until my RX Helix alpineist model to arrive. I shot the 6.5x55 barrel in carefully and can achieve half inch groups with my home loads. After sixteen weeks my own rifle arrived and I can only say that it was worth wait. I kept the original barrel and put it into the new frame, put the same Leica scope on in the same place on the rail as it was on the demo model and yes it shot just as well as the demo.
    the RX Helix has great handling qualities and performs well in the field. I'm well pleased with it.
    i would like to thank my local gun shop Bond and Bywater for putting up with impatence and Viking Arms for their the loan of the Demo rifle

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    i have used one and they are one of the best rifles i have used they have a shorter bolt throw then a blaser they are easyer to strip then a blaser they are lighter then a blaser and more accurate i could not rate it highly anothe and they take weaver mounts so they dont cost 350 each
    Whilst the rx helix has some very clever features, some of which are better than Blasers system, After reading and watching quite a few videos about it, in particular the review Byron Pace did on the Shooting show, I would challenge a couple of your assertions.. Bear in mind, I have owned 3 Blaser R8s, the latest being a 6.5x55 in Pro Success flavour but have never shot or owned a Merkel so my comments are not borne from experience, just observation..

Easier to strip than a blaser... from what I could see I wouldn't agree... 'tool-less' yes, if that's what you are getting at but 'easier' I wouldn't say so.. the merkel requires more operations and dismantling to get the barrel off... forend off, pull locking lever to 90 degrees, tease the barrel out, remove the bolt head (although I did go 'wow' when the bolt head came out with the barrel.. very clever!) and then the same in reverse to refit or change the barrel.. The blaser... turn two captive bolts with an allen key and the barrel comes straight off.. no dismantling required... so.. tool-less yes... easier, I would say not quite but at the end of the day its hardly a complex operation on either rifle! and I will admit to driving 4 hours to Galloway forest a couple of years ago only to find I had forgotten my Allen key to reassemble my rifle... thankfully my buddy had a set of allen keys in the back of his car otherwise it would have either been a trip to the nearest town to find a hardware store or abandoning the stalk! so... I guess tool-less has its advantages! lol

I was pretty horrified by the accuracy displayed by Mr Pace... he kept repeating the words 'acceptable for stalking' which to me is a phrase usually reserved for rifles that can't group... and boy he didn't disappoint! after finding 'well matched' factory ammo he got it down to an inch!!! WTF.. my blasers have all (apart from the middle one with the dodgy stock.... that'll teach me for buying 2nd hand with no idea of history!!) cloverleafed out of the box with pretty much any factory ammo I have thrown at it... and when he took the barrel out and put it back in between 3 shots!!!!!!!!! a good 4 inch group ensued!!!! but its ok as that is apparently 'acceptable for stalking'.... like ***** it is!!! a blaser will put the bullet in the same place no matter how many times you take the barrel off... I transport my rifle broken down, put it back together and go straight out on the hill knowing exactly where the bullet will strike... After watching that I wouldn't dare do it with a Merkel without re zeroing and that takes away one huge benefit of having a takedown rifle in my eyes..

Weight... yep, you are probably right.. my Blaser is certainly no lightweight
    Expensive mounts... yup... you have me there..

I don't want to turn this into a Blaser vs Merkel thing and the OP specifically asked about the helix and didn't mention Blasers but the comparison always appears on these threads.. along with the 'much better than blasers' comments...

The Merkel is a fine rifle, will save you a considerable amount of cash over it's rivals and will serve you well by the looks of it however from what I see they haven't got the engineering quite right... yes its fast... if you really need to be able to cycle it 5/10ths of a second faster than a turnbolt!?! To me, the advantages of a straightpull takedown are... certainly in the case of my rifle... being able to transport broken down with no affect on zero, having a compact rifle with a full length barrel due to the lack of receiver and being able to have one rifle with multiple calibres.. The Merkel would appear to only tick 1 out of 3 of those boxes. straight pull and speed is just an added bonus rather than the holy grail!?

Have a look at the review on the shooting show and see if you wince as much as I did when the groupings are shown!
    Last edited by Vipa; 25-05-2015 at 01:07.

Want something different? Get a strasser.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    Want something different? Get a strasser.
    That's nice... has the lines of a classic underlever.. pity they don't do a synthetic!

Its a hybrid. Wood underneath with a plastic coating. It will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post

I was pretty horrified by the accuracy displayed by Mr Pace... he kept repeating the words 'acceptable for stalking' which to me is a phrase usually reserved for rifles that can't group... and boy he didn't disappoint! after finding 'well matched' factory ammo he got it down to an inch!!! WTF.. my blasers have all (apart from the middle one with the dodgy stock.... that'll teach me for buying 2nd hand with no idea of history!!) cloverleafed out of the box with pretty much any factory ammo I have thrown at it... and when he took the barrel out and put it back in between 3 shots!!!!!!!!! a good 4 inch group ensued!!!
    Could it just be that aforesaid Mr Pace is a poor shot and the rifle itself is fine?

We're interested in a take down / switch barrel rifle and the Merkel, Blaser and Bergara all feature on our list of those to investigate. We haven't encountered the Strasser before though. The critical factor for us will be accuracy rather than speed of operation or take-down.

Quote Originally Posted by meles meles View Post
    Could it just be that aforesaid Mr Pace is a poor shot and the rifle itself is fine?
    I could live with that if it was just the grouping as he was outdoors and the weather could have played a part but all things being equal Byron is a pretty accomplished rifleman... I fear the 4" group was purely down to the rifles inability to return exactly to zero after the barrel has been removed... in my opinion, to date only Blaser have managed to achieve this with true repeatability. don't get me wrong, the blaser isn't perfect, but what it does it does well and what it does well it does very well.

I doubt the merkel could be that far out. I have a sako quad which is even less precise and all four barrels plus the leupold qrw still return to zero. Could be a scope or loose mount, or a bad batch of ammo.