Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Reloading Manual

Best Reloading Manual

Its my Birthday on Saturday and thought I might treat myself to a reloading Manual. I prediminantly load with Hornady heads as they are readily available and good hunting rounds.

The obvious choice for me is the Hornady 8th edition.

Any other surgestions…?

Thanks

M

Lee Modern reloading 2nd Edition. My favorite. Once you see all the information you can get from it with regards to pressures and loading densities, you will keep reaching for it. Lee's data comes from the major powder makers and they are always a better source of data than the bullet makers. JMHO.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 2428 miles View Post
    Its my Birthday on Saturday and thought I might treat myself to a reloading Manual. I prediminantly load with Hornady heads as they are readily available and good hunting rounds.

The obvious choice for me is the Hornady 8th edition.

Any other surgestions…?

Thanks

M
    Some would say buy the manual for the powder you are using - infact i'm sure I saw a post saying exactly that recently. However I load Nosler BT's and bought their book and use their recommended "best" powder for the weight bullets i use. Personal choice i suppose, but at least with the bullet manufacturers book you are using the exact same bullet with the same characteristics rather than a generic bullet.

Muirs comment re Lee Modern is a good place to start as it takes you through all the reloading steps.

re buying - found this on ebay, but i don't know how this compares with other prices

Scrun

I have Lee 2nd, Hornaday 8th and whatever the latest Nosler one is.

I use Vit powders in my rifles and use their data, which is free to download off t'internet.

The Lee book reads like an advert for Lee re-loading gear in places, but all the manuals are guilty of this. Its not the glossiest and looks a bit old fashioned compared to the others, but the info. is spot. There is a lot to go at. I constantly refer back to it. I only really look at the others for the "heads up" info. they give on the different calibres.

If was going to have one only it would be Lee.

Cheers,

Bob

I've no idea if it's better or worse than the others mentioned, but I use a Lyman manual. Has loads of stuff in it & easy to understand.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    I've no idea if it's better or worse than the others mentioned, but I use a Lyman manual. Has loads of stuff in it & easy to understand.
    My #2 choice.~Muir

Lee reloading data for me easy access on line.

Aside from the Lee Manual (which is generally what I reach for when having to figure pressure issues out), and since this is for your Birthday (which should make it special, no?), I'd suggest a copy of "Ken Water's Petloads". Not a reloading manual per se, but has a lot of data on many differnt and venerable loads as well as quite a bit of history on each cartridge.

A reloading manual you can buy whenever, but for a special gift; might try looking at this book.

JMHO...

just chalk up anotheer lee fan excellent read again and again