Thread: New Member - Hi

Regular Poster

New Member - Hi

Hi all

I have been scouring the internet whilst looking to put together a new 25.06 set up and have often ended up back at the information posted on the Stalking Directory forum, which I have always found really helpful and relevant - so I thought I would stop lurking and join. My stalking experience is based on reds in the highlands since I was young and, in the last few years, I have really enjoyed canny Sika on the west coast. I have stalked roe when the opportunity has arisen, shot Sika in the south west and boar on the continent. I recently moved down to England with work and am between London and Herefordshire. My experience is with .243, .270 and 25.06. I think my new, 'lightweight, south of the border' set up is going to be a 25.06, Sauer 202 classic XT, with a Z6i Swaro. I am not yet convinced on mounts (warne / apel / tally? ) and moderator (ATEC / Ase Ultra?). I have read some very helpful posts on these items but if anyone has any experience with the 202 set up I would appreciate your thoughts.

Looking forward to joining in, contributing and learning.

Hello and welcome. Atb, Jim.

Hi Foss

I am knew to the site myself.I had a 202 classic fitted with the Ase Ultra in .243 and it was a lovely accurate rifle and the trigger was superb .The problem was I felt it was very un balanced with the Ase on it and i changed it for a sako finnlight 85 un moderated to use as a light roe stalking rifle.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
    Hi Foss

I am knew to the site myself.I had a 202 classic fitted with the Ase Ultra in .243 and it was a lovely accurate rifle and the trigger was superb .The problem was I felt it was very un balanced with the Ase on it and i changed it for a sako finnlight 85 un moderated to use as a light roe stalking rifle.
    Hi Bucktail, thanks for your letting me know your experiences with the 202. I pretty sure I am going to with the ATEC Maxim which does come back over the barrel to some extent. I hope the Sako Finnlight is treating you well - the only reason the Finnlight came off the top of my original list list is that I don't think I could have it it out the box with a 24" barrel (which I wanted for a 25.06). Atb, Foss