Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest schools - wild meat lesson

Forest schools - wild meat lesson

Just got a text message from my 11 year old nephew whilst on his Forest Schools day today - one of their teachers brought in a wild rabbit to show them skinning and preparation and the correct methods for cooking it over an open fire. After this they all got to try a bit.

My nephew has always been a bit picky about his food, but loves the outdoors and I'm happy to report that he loved his first taste of proper wild food.

I then told him "next stop - venison" to which he responded "definitely!"

I'm also going to be taking him out to my Uncles farm once the evenings get a bit longer to look for signs of deer - and he is very keen to come stalking with me once I get started properly.

My sister will be pleased that he is going from being picky about expensive food to eating anything I bring home from a days shooting for free!
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

Exactly as it should be! A1+

Wish they would do that in mainstream schools .....well done to your nephew

This opportunity should at least be "on offer" to all our kids,.......... maybe there would be a lot less polystyrene & clingfilm in view, great news on your young ones outlook!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Localish school where a friend of mine works as a TA asked me to do a session on game, following on from a day of air rifle "tasters" earlier in the week. Courtesy of the local gamekeeper i had a brace of pheasant, classroom full of 7 and 8 year-olds and some very nervous looking teachers. Plucked and breasted, showing the kids each step, they were transfixed and no-one left the room, even when I used the quicker method of extracting the breasts (is there a name for this ?)

The teachers fried cubes of meat and the kids all tried it, most even liked it. Lots of questions and fantastic kids that are clearly keen to learn ..... almost made me want to volunteer at the school regularly !

buy him some ferrets quick

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    That was my first thought!

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    Here here great way to start

He's already using an air rifle, bow and arrows and has made his own atlatl which works surprisingly well. My sister is very keen on the Forest Schools idea as she has been with them on several outings and she has seen how much better a lot of the kids relate to things out in the wild and find it much easier to learn.

As far as the ferrets go, I think it's a great idea! - not sure how my sister with 6 kids, 1 dog and 2 guinea pigs would feel about the idea
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/