dodgy bullet

shootingduckdog

Guys a quick bit of help pls.

How do you make a dodgy round safe?

I have a .22/250 bullet with a crease in the casing so it wont chamber. I always thought shotgun cartridges were a pain to deal with but I'm clueless what to do with the bullet :oops:

Should I just take it back to the gun room :confused:

cheers

SDD

Surely you can take the head off and then just throw it is a bonfire. It will go bang but nothing will hit anyone!
Please correct me if I am wrong as this is what I have done before.

bullet

If I pull the head out and get rid of the powder. Then cut the case behind the crease could I put the "head" in the rifle and fire the primer or is that really a very dumb idea?

Carefully pull the bullet & throw the case in a pond.
Dont try and cut the case with the bullet & powder in it :eek:

Hi SDD,

Using a bullet puller remove the head, empty out the powder. Dispose of powder safely by soaking it in water. Squirt oil or WD40 into bullet case thus pacifying the primer and then remove primer using a resizing die. Dispose of primer. Take case back to shop/manufacturer and demand a refund.

Willie

Andy L said:
Surely you can take the head off and then just throw it is a bonfire. It will go bang but nothing will hit anyone!
Please correct me if I am wrong as this is what I have done before.

Andy, you had me in stitches with that one mate. :lol: :lol: :lol:

wadas

The 'official' solution is to take the misfired or damaged round back to the supplier (ie the gunshop) who will pass it back to the manufacturer.

Never seems to work that way in reality though

You know me Wadas. Never one for using a textbook unless I can hit something with it!

Funnily enough, we cleared out the footwell of my truck the other day and there were a few .22 rounds in with the crud where the old ruger had jammed while rabbit bopping. Decided to throw it all in the homemade oil barrel workshop heater and we had ourselves a nice little chinese firecracker festival!

Here`s another crackpot way to discharge that damagaed bullet Andy ;)

Put said bullet shell into vice and hit primer with nail and hammer. :confused:

Caution should be taken and the wearing of a good sturdy hat, preferably tin :lol: also, please make sure you do a risk assessment first please :lol:

Oh, and watch out for the richocet :lol:

No liability will be accepted with this method, so make sure you have the relavent medical insurance and get the wife to put the local A and E on red alert :lol:

wadas

A woman was killed a few years ago when she was burning some rubbish in her back garden, a 22lr round was in the rubish and went pop.
The case and bullet blew apart and the case hit her behind the ear and killed her.
having said that i burnt an icecream tub full of primers a handfull at a time.

Ezzy.

i must admit that i was throwing all the rubbish from my truck on a fire a few weeks ago and there was a .22lr round in it, when it went i was poking the fire with a stick, i heard something, i guess either the case or the head rattle off through the trees, it also managed to sick molten plastic all over my arm which stung a bit. lesson learnt there.

Shrapnell

wadashot said:
Here`s another crackpot way to discharge that damagaed bullet Andy ;)

Put said bullet shell into vice and hit primer with nail and hammer. :confused:

Caution should be taken and the wearing of a good sturdy hat, preferably tin :lol: also, please make sure you do a risk assessment first please :lol:

Oh, and watch out for the richocet :lol:

No liability will be accepted with this method, so make sure you have the relavent medical insurance and get the wife to put the local A and E on red alert :lol:

wadas

As a daft 14 year old lad I did somthing similar with a .556mm blank but I shot the primer with my air rifle. Over 21 years later and I still have the scar on my fore arm from the resulting shrapnel. and that was just a blank, think what a live round might do??

Dave

wada

Wada

As a 19 year old who should have known better I decided to dispose of a duff shotgun cartridge. Having emptied out the shot and powder I put the cap in a vice. I then struck the primer with a hammer and nail. The nail went out through the shed roof along with some of my skin from the fingers that were holding it :eek:

Hence the current question

So why the current question if you anticipated the outcome!
or have experienced the results .
Just dehead the cartridge , empty the powder ,place cart in rifle , fire in a safe direction , THERE you go rocket science. ENDEX job done .
Duh !! :oops: HAVE FED THE FIRE,
Trapper

Back