Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old or unwanted Brass (Collection for charity??)

Old or unwanted Brass (Collection for charity??)

Had a thought, and please correct me if this sounds like a stupid idea as some of my brainwaves are!
    Guven the present high price that is being paid for scrap metal do you think it would be possible to sell unwanted cartridges (empty of course) and then do something worthwhile with the proceeds?

Not quite sure how (if) this might work, but as i see it some cartridges are not really suitable for reloading once fired. They might be rimfire, have come to the end of their useful life or the shooter might not reload. I know the scrap value of the cartridges held by any one of us is not likely to be high, but wondered if we all clubbed together ..........

Let me know your thoughts

T'internet seems to say around 2.5 per kg approx. so if 100 members sent you a Kg, that's 250 to a good cause? roughly.. I'm sure some of the 'ranges' should be able to send you a few hundred kilo's tho! and some of the MOD ranges a few thousand! LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    T'internet seems to say around 2.5 per kg approx. so if 100 members sent you a Kg, that's 250 to a good cause? roughly.. I'm sure some of the 'ranges' should be able to send you a few hundred kilo's tho! and some of the MOD ranges a few thousand! LOL...
    Scrap yards in my area will not touch any brass cartridges at all due to there could be a chance of a LIVE ROUND amongst the brass .

I've tried 3 of them same answer .

The MOD has long been on the case (no pun intended) with recycling the brass, ask anyone who has served. At the end of each shoot/exercise the dreaded command "pick up the brass"!

To avoid the problem mentioned above, by widows son, it would then all be hand sifted and certified FFE, Free from explosives. No easy task with sometimes hundreds of thousands of empty cases.
    Last edited by pilgrimmick; 23-03-2012 at 08:14.

I have a bag of hundreds of rimfire cases but it weighs next to nothing.
    would be worth contacting local ranges I would have thought, posting it would negate any donation, you may as well send the postage money you were going to use as the donation in some cases

probably right - non starter once you take postage into account!
    never mind

I pass all the centre fire cases to one of the guys up here who make cuff links, bottle openers, pens and key rings out of them some very good quality merchandise .good talking point a .50 pen .338 pen or a .50 bottle opener

i dont have any cuff links to show you keep giving them away .

Folks have been shot by the Police for having less on them than these. In todays Broken Britain i wouldn't carry a bullet in public.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Scrap yards in my area will not touch any brass cartridges at all due to there could be a chance of a LIVE ROUND amongst the brass .

I've tried 3 of them same answer .
    Coudn't you flatten them so they are proved inert??

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Folks have been shot by the Police for having less on them than these. In todays Broken Britain i wouldn't carry a bullet in public.
    Or the leg of a table for that matter .