best 22cf complement to .243

User00003

I'm looking for some input from those who have had experience with these please.

I'm wanting to complement my .243 (roe deer rifle with 87 grainers) with a 22cf rifle for fox, rooks, crows, etc, but also as a backup roe rifle here in Scotland (backup only).

I almost settled on the .223, but then started thinking whether I should be going 222, 22-250 or 220swift. I'll be shooting out to around 250-300yds with them max I think...

trying to think of benefits of either,,anyone willing to put a few Advantages/Disadvantage points up?

I also don't want to be getting something that's 'too close' to the .243, but do want something that will comfortably handle a 50 or 55g pill and have dead hold to around 250yds without burning too much powder.

sorry for asking this, I know it's been covered a trillion times, I just really struggle with this decision, so need help!

My opinion,
Get both :)
I shoot 223 and a swift. My 223 has a shortbarrel and is ideal for foximg from a jeep or carrying around
The swift comes out to play for more open ground when foxing and crows. On a near windless day 500 yard crows are achievable and more if youre ability is up to it. I chose the swift as I knew someone who shoots one and Im glad I did choose it over the 22-250,its speed and accuracy are phenomenal!
Nothing wrongwith 22-250 im sure but I am biased towardsthe swift.
Get both :)

You wont go far wrong with a 223.
It has loads of punch for that range and alot easier on powder consumption and barrels than the bigger 22 cf's

ATB
Alan

I have a 308 a 243 with 80 - 87gr and quite like my little 223 1/8 with 69gr. Was a pig to get to shoot right but now she is
quite reliably taking crows out to 300m. Foxes just about always have an exit wound. Had a 22-250 and fast twist 223 before
but think the 69gr/223 is a bit better at longer ranges. I use this rifle for fox lamping and daytime roaming valleys after fox,
crows and bunnies.
edi

There is a reason that there are so many out there! Lots of reloading recipies available to match any rifle.

Mick

there is a saying,look out for the man with one gun,yor 243 will do every thing,get yourself a scope with target turrets and learn your drops,shoot out to 200 and 300yds,match your drops in a reloading manual and do the calculations,

there is a saying,look out for the man with one gun,yor 243 will do every thing,get yourself a scope with target turrets and learn your drops,shoot out to 200 and 300yds,match your drops in a reloading manual and do the calculations,

That's not the fun answer!

Can't really win. 22/250 offers the flat shooting performance but for that powder usage is going to be close to 243.
223 dont have the legs on the 22/250 but uses less powder its a trade off. The choice is yours

LOL - swaro is right, of course I 'should'. however, I'm not sure I want to screw cut my roe stalking rifle after all, and varminting rifle really does need a moderator tbh - although a few kind forum members have been in contact to offer solutions on that front (thank you - I will get back to you all).

I like the idea of the .223 + the 220 swift all of a sudden, it's just the money thing, two rifles, two scopes, two moderators, two bipods, two slings, etc.

I really have my eyes set on a savage 12 vlp dbm or btcss (the thumbhole version),,,the good thing is they don't offer it in the Swift, so I'm now down to .233 (7 or 9 twist) or the 22-250....now I just need to find a place that stocks them so I can have a play around with them, that should leave me with just the calibre choice...

ps. thank you for your input

if you go for a 22/250 try find a 12 twist or faster if you can. they are in limited numbers though in these twists only some rifle makers make these twists. steyr and savage being one of them.

i had a variation for a swift and couldnt find one i liked, so i stuck with my old reliable cz 527 .222 . now have a savage 12 fv in 204 and to be quite honest it is nice but it is not as accurate as my old cz, the trigger on the savage is the accutrigger and although it may pass the drop test, i had the action out of the stock and the spring that governs the trigger release pressure can move about between shots and thus vary the trigger pressure needed from shot to shot, i had always deliberately avoided american made rifles because of thier heavy triggers and thought maybe the accutrigger might be good,to be fair it is better than a remington trigger, just not as good as a cz

If you want a rifle that is specifically going to be for varminting, i'd suggest some of the .20 cal options are more appealling - especially if you reload.

I have used the 22-243 or the very similar 22 Max. Basically flat shooting using the same zero right out to 300 plus yards.

In terms of complementing your 243 think more about the style of rifle you want - that 22 max was a custom built on remy 700 with heavy weight 26" fluted barrel and nightforce high mag type scope. By the time you added bipod It was not the sort of beast you wanted to lug too far. If your 243 is already a heavy barrelled long range affair what about a nice little lightweight 222 - say a cz527. Just the thing for a summer evening for close range Roebucks.

PKL

With you having a 243 already, I would suggest that this is the answer:

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse.exe/browse?categoryid=9649&categorystring=9315+***+731+***+702+***+8344+***

Good luck. JCS

PKL;
I was in a similar position to you a while back. I had a 220 Swift Ackley and loved the perfomance of that! However I wanted same performance but something easier to load. I looked at the Middlestead but ended up (on advise from Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge)going for the straight 22-243. One Pass through the sizing die, onto a mandrel for a light scim on the neck and your good to go. Easy to load for and putting the 55 grn Ballistic Tip out at 4050 fps ( I know some people run them a lot hotter!) with very good accuracy. NOTE: This is not the Ackley version! I have the reamers if you consider going down this route.

Cheers
Hillside

Back