not even sure how to title this...

User00003

hey,

I'm thinking of getting a 6.5x55 slot to help my brother in law out, he's a leftie you see. he comes over stalking from europe a number of times every year and has to borrow a RH rifle which stinks for him, esp. since he has a nice leftie T3 at home that he doesn't use.

I'm thinking that if the plods allow a 6.5x55 on my FAC, he could bring over and 'sell' to me / ie. put on my FAC as mine, so he can use it whilst in my presence/accompaniment whilst out stalking (which I'm quite sure is legal).

here's the thing, how would you go about signing over a rifle from a european travel 'visa' whilst abroad in the UK, onto a british FAC (mine), and then not bringing it back home?

feasible? anyone? :rolleyes:

You can't PKL, this country doesn't recognise the EFP and insists that visitors have a visitors firearms certificate. Presumably you would sponsor him with regard to his application. There is also a procedure for permanently transfering firearms between member states, have a look in the guidance to police document of which there is a sticky somewhere on the site.

May be wrong here but I thought you had to be the landowner to allow someone to borrow your rifle?

permission to shoot on" rather than "own"
on the basis that some land owners dont have the shooting/sporting rights.

its not the "estate rifle" type scenario.
it is you and a mate going shooting and you allowing him to use your rifle under supervision

permission to shoot on" rather than "own"
on the basis that some land owners dont have the shooting/sporting rights.

its not the "estate rifle" type scenario.
it is you and a mate going shooting and you allowing him to use your rifle under supervision

The "estate rifle" condition is exactly what it is. It's the only way under the legislation that someone can legally shoot a section one firearm without an FAC with the appropriate weapon on it. (except for at a HO approved club of course)

The "estate rifle" condition is exactly what it is. It's the only way under the legislation that someone can legally shoot a section one firearm without an FAC with the appropriate weapon on it. (except for at a HO approved club of course)

I meant that you don't have to be on an estate with a stalker for it to be legal.

the wording covers all scenarios where the FAC holder has the shooting rights to the land they (FAC holder and non holder) are shooting on.

"Under certain circumstances you can shoot without holding a firearms or shotgun certificate, these include:

1. At Clay Shoots and Registered Firearms Dealers. The shoot or dealer must hold a Section 11 (6) Exemption notice issued by the police.

2. At “open days” held by approved rifle and muzzle-loading clubs as a non-member, using club weapons on a limited number of days throughout the year. Membership is usually required to shoot at these clubs at other times.

3. You may shoot shotguns or rifles when accompanied by a certificate-holding landowner or their agent, such as a gamekeeper/stalker, on the owners land, using their weapons in accordance with the restrictions on their certificate for that weapon.

You may not borrow another person’s gun if they do not own/occupy the land you propose to shoot on. An occupier could include the farming tenant or the holder of the shooting rights."

Bewsher, the estate condition doesn't limit it to an estate with a stalker, as you correctly state. It merely means that you can borrow the rifle of someone who is classified as a "servant of the landowner". It's pretty easy to argue that someone who carries out pest control/stalking for the landowner, whether paid or not, can be classed as a servant, by dint of them "providing a service". We are in agreement, it would be legal, and it would be legal because of the "estate condition".

Back