Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ackley improved

ackley improved

what is the point of having them done,what do you gain,50 to 100fps.why not just get the next caliber up.

What a strange post! Acklyizing calibres has many other benefits such as improved case life and accuracy. Most people shooting these calibres, such as myself enjoy using something a litle different or a "wild cat"admitidly some ofthe benefits may seem small, however they are benefits and also the joy of using something a little more bespoke makes it even sweeter! In the right hands any legal calibre will consistently do whats required so whats all the fuss about? Life would be weird if we all drove the same cars, or maybe we should still be dragging our knuckles along instead of evolution/make small improvements etc?

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    what is the point of having them done,what do you gain,50 to 100fps.why not just get the next caliber up.
    The improvement will depend on which cartridge is being improved Ackley only did some due to customer request and hated the results. I believe the 270 Win AI as one of those he didn't like. Now ones like the 30-30 Win AI give a lot of improved performance as does the 257 Roberts AI.

The Improved route is not for everyone personally I own two. A 303 Imp and the 280 Rem AI both for different reasons which suit me but might not suit some one else.

a 257 roberts ai is a 25-06 wannabe surely

a 257 roberts ai is a 25-06 wannabe surely
    The 257 Improved does what a 25-06 can do but with about 10% less powder

Ian.

I'm not sure, but after having read about them for many years, I have just bought one. Hopefully over the next couple of years I will have a clearer idea, but then again, maybe not.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/243win/

Regards JCS

The point is the same as making a 243/260/7-08 out of a 308 or a 25-06/270 out of a 30-06. I've had an ackley or two and have always found them an improvement on the parent case. If you dont see the point dont get one, simple.

The biggest overlooked benefit of improved cartridges is the lower operating pressures when duplicating top end parent case loads.

Ian.

Moved to Rifles and Calibres section as this isn't an an Article or a Writeup!

everyone has to have some sort of ackley calibre in there life time. i havent had one yet but been tempted 6mm ai remington really looks superb with the varminting 75 and 87 vmax