The Value of FAC Air

liamnjs

This time of year I always get a hankering for a FAC Air Rifle. All the nest building corvids, just out of effective range of my legal-limit springer, drive me to distraction. I would probably surrender my 17 HMR in exchange for a Theoben Eliminator, so before I do I just wanted to survey The Stalking Directory membership on their opinions of FAC air for corvids and rabbits out to 60 yards or so. I've heard opinions ranging from "they're pointless, stick to the 22lr" through to "they're indispensable, but very few realise it!"

I wouldn't be without my rapid 7. I have it for almost 20 yrs and only got it serviced last year for the first time. I have it zeroed at 50m and use it for rabbits on the golf course but I wouldn't swap my hmr for an fac. I have .22lr which I would swap but I guess you are either a fan of hmr's or not.

hi same as you really fancy an fac air rifle again, i had 2 rapid 7 s and a daystate hunts man great job for rabbits 60 yards plus. however i would not buy another eliminator as the one i had broke my heart i had to send it back to theoben twice, ended up getting shot of it.

Had a fac rapid 7 it was great for crows and rabbits up 70+ yards, but you can't compare it to a HMR there in different leagues.

Andy

I've shot with legal limit air rifles for years and never found anything I could shoot with an FAC air rifle that I couldn't with a legal limit air rifle, the simple answer is get closer

The maximum effetive range of a legal limit air rifle is 45/50 yrds so why shell out all that money for an 10/15 extra yards?

If I was going to make the step from legal limit air to FAC i'd just get a .22, much cheaper than FAC air and does everthing FAC air does and you still have the legal limit air for stuff you can't do with the .22.

Cheers
Hyperion

They maybe in a different league, but the fac air won't cost a fortune to run, and won't have ammo failing to go bang.
After using the HMR for a few years, and then moving it along because the .22 hornet does it al for me at less money.
That said while I have no use at all for a 12 ft-lb. air rifle I could very easily make use of an fac one one.

Neil. :)

It does seem at this time of year I have an almost constant need to be shooting into trees, either at squirrels or corvids. I rarely extend my 17 HMR beyond 60 yards, the terrain just doesn't lend itself to it. We also have a steadily increasing bunny population and being a college estate is a fairly sensitive location. I think FAC air might be the answer.

I have an FAC air Falcon, and it`s superb, tree shooting, or in permissions that demand it. I love it. But then I love air rifles so a more powerfull one is something I would always have.

I have a FAC Rapid and a 22LR. Both are useful.
The Rapid on squirrels and pigeons, I like pigeon crowns. Squirrel pie is nice but takes some effort.
And also for tricky shots on rabbits where the backstop is not much cop for 22LR.
From what I have read the Eliminator is a nice idea but not as practical as a Rapid.

IMHO Fac air rifles are very effective in the correct situation. You can pick them up for next to nothing( compared to sub12ft/lb rifles) but go PCP route.I owned a .22 Eliminator , beautiful looking rifle but its like using an SLR for 60-80 yards shooting and takes a fair bit of skill and brawn to use, went to a FAC FX2000 and it was a joy to shoot.
I recently sold it and never filled the slot and to be honest more fool me
cheers
craig

I could definately find a home for one if I had some spare cash. Not sure that I would swap one for the HMR but these rooks need thining out a bit and an fac air rifle would be a good choice for doing the job.

Hi,
I am on my 3rd FAC Rapid and the valid points I was going to make have been covered by previous posters. There is a job for FAC Air where sub 12ft/lb is not enough and 22rf is too much!
Just to touch on what Hyperion has posted. FAC air rifles on the second hand market and generally are much cheaper than sub 12.
What I would say is go with the PCP. After the initial outlay for charging equip, IMO they are much better to shoot.
Do not get caught up in the power thing as some seem to do when they venture into the FAC air realm. I have a .22 which is running at 35ft/lb and I have it zeroed at 50yds and from a rest, it groups single hole almost with bisley magnum pellets.
Also depending on the enviroment or terrain your shooting on , its not always possible to get closer to ensure a kill if a sub 12ft gives you a max of 50yds or so. that extra 15/20yds might ensure you get the job done.

I would not be without mine I have a theoben MFR running at 30ftlbs and use for hitting nesting crows. last year did over 100 in a couple of hrs. it's also great for shooting around the horse paddocks.

Mine is zeroed at 50yards and I can almost put a full mag in the same hole. It's a gun I would not be without.

regards
Craig

Last edited:
Got rid of my fac rapid ( cracking rifle ) but found out quickly that there was nothing i could do with a fac rapid that i couldn't do with -12ftlbs rifle ......so went back to a HW100kt ......

I have two - a .25 Rapid at just under 50 ft/lbs (superb rat-buster) and .22 a Bowketted BSA SuperTen at 30 ft/lbs. I don't use them very often as I prefer the bigger toys, but when the right job comes up, they're just the ticket. :)

Have both simples they both have there merits in the right situation but go pcp what ever you do had an fac springer and hated it tbh got a gunpower SSS/airforce condor running at 60flb but will go down to 14flb by turning will easily take bunnies at 90yds+ in the right conditions but at this power with decent pellets it is probably more expensive to run than a hmr....

Last edited:
Back