Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Roe - one bullet

2 Roe - one bullet

Just thought I would ask for people's opinion on this one

.270 and a 40 yard shot. The shot was taken and the deer despatched but not by me. Personally I wouldn't do it, what do others think?

Mel
    A pat on the back is often just a recce for the knife.

Not clever at all the bullet can change direction travelling through the first beast and certainly could have wounded the second causing unnecessary suffering.

I wouldn't do it, stupid thing to do with way too many things to go wrong.

pretty reckless in my opinion. On exiting the bullet could be going anywhere and has already deformed there for will not act as intended through the second deer.

a proper wan&er if you ask me ,not fit to shoot at live targets!

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Just thought I would ask for people's opinion on this one

.270 and a 40 yard shot. The shot was taken and the deer despatched but not by me. Personally I wouldn't do it, what do others think?

Mel
    Whoever did this has total disrespect for the quarry he/she was shooting. If the person is a friend of yours i would distance myself from them or you may be tarred with the same brush.

Jimbo

its a dodgy shot,did he know the other deer was directly behind

A safe shot assumes that there is nothing that will be harmed behind the intended target. We've all heard of, and possibly seen, where a beast far from the line of fire is injured/killed, and that tells you all you need to know about the ballistics of a bullet after it has passed through a body. Sometimes there's an animal lying unseen in the grass, though close observation should minimise that risk.

To deliberately take a shot with the intent of killing two animals with the one shot is silly and dangerous, and is likely to cause "un-necessary suffering" to the second animal, which is a prosecutable offence. If you misplace a shot on a single beast proving un-necessary suffering is impossible, but to deliberately take a "trick shot" that results in the wounding of a beast, if discovered by plod, is likely to lead to the loss of the FAC at least.

2 possible scenarios?

1) Full awareness that the 2nd deer was directly behind the first, in which case the shot shouldn't have been taken.
    2) Couldn't tell what was directly behind the first deer at 40 yds, ie can't determine the backstop, in which case the shot shouldn't have been taken.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.