dogs living in doors or outside?

comber

we have four dogs at home, who used to live in the house then we moved and the dogs are now living in a kennel in one of our barns. they moved outside without a problem.

i was woundering who has dogs inside or out and what are thier feelings on why inside or out is better or worse in regards to dogs health and personal prefrence?

Hi

I have a pedagree Irish setter that lives in doors. But have friends who's dogs live in there barn like yours and there dogs have no probs with it, they have lots of straw to curl up in on cold nights and there dogs have been out for the last 6 years as long as the dogs are comfortable I don't see any reason why they should not be left out..

Regards
Craig

My dogs live outside in kennels with large runs, they are as happy as Larry, and even happier when we let them inside to for a few hours in the evening. :)

I have had two Spaniels in the house, in an unheated porch for years, Down to one spaniel and a new Lurcher and they are both out in the Kennel most of the time, They still come in the house though, but the Spaniel is 10 now and has had no issue moving outside,, he loves it. I do still let them sleep in the porch in the winter.

5 dogs ,2 labs and a spaniel ,and the wifes 2 GSD's all outside with the GSD'S coming into the bootroom for the evenings then out at night .the sheperds lay out in the run on a bench down to -15 ,they wont sleep in the sleeping section in case they miss anything !:DView attachment 13909

Five dogs at home, all have access to the house during the day, but at night the Border collie goes out, the rest stay in.
Their choice, so presume they are happy with it!

I have found that moving dogs from inside to outside is "easier" in terms of cleanliness, unwarranted barking ect, providing the house dog has been fully house trained before the move takes place.

Taking a kennel dog from outside to in along with their kennel habits and behaviours, table manners ect can require some addressing of issues.

Most dogs like my German Shepherds if kept outside will grow an undercoat which protects them against the cold but it is essential that their sleeping quarters are dry and draught free.

Where I used to live, for months before Guy Fawkes night , the local yobs would be firing off rockets ect so that it sounded like a warzone you were in.
At that time 2 of my Shepherds were trained and regularly tested to react in a certain way to gunfire, anyway when the racket started outside I would bring them in and have music playing to keep them calm(ish). They would get excited and bark much to the annoyance of my neighbours who somehow didn't bother with the fireworks so loud that your windows would rattle but ..... thats another story altogether.

For the remainder of their time indoors, all they would do is pant and pace up and down and stand at the door to get back outside. In the summer when they had unrestricted access to indoors, they would come in for a look and quick mooch around and return outside where they would stay.

They very much preferred outside

Last edited:
My GWP is far to pampered to sleep outside :lol:...........I like her indoors anyway as she is a bloody good watch dog.

Last edited:
Had dogs living both inside and outside but now all my dogs are outside after 6 months. Exception is when they are sick and retired they live their last days close by me.

tommy my gsp is a kennel dog but comes in to lay in front of the fire and be around us before going back to bed later on . I built him a big run for summer but he hates it just cries .i think its to be around us as he was a rescue dog and mistreated . i have started taking him to work which he loves so really comes in the house from work but sleaps down in his kennel ,atb wayne

Mine live out after a trip down the marsh the last thing you would want is to bring them in the house that's for sure lol

wildfowling111.jpg

wildfowling062.jpg

wildfowling120.jpg

wildfowling040.jpg

tommy my gsp is a kennel dog but comes in to lay in front of the fire and be around us before going back to bed later on . I built him a big run for summer but he hates it just cries .i think its to be around us as he was a rescue dog and mistreated . i have started taking him to work which he loves so really comes in the house from work but sleaps down in his kennel ,atb wayne
he looked like he was becoming quite an accomplished driver sitting in your van last wk end mate !

3 spaniels and a jack russell,
all live in, too many dogs are stolen locally, and I would rather the dog be in the house and barking, than in a run if we get "visitors".

the old alsation lived outside until she was 12 she hated going out in the rain after living indoors.

Beagle tri colour large breed stands 16" at the shoulder,,,13x10 out house 35 ft run straw at one end of his house and his armchair he loves it,,,wont come in doors even when loads of snow on the ground he just wont stay indoors we have tried when the weather is bad but he wont have none of it.

paul

we have four dogs at home, who used to live in the house then we moved and the dogs are now living in a kennel in one of our barns. they moved outside without a problem.

i was woundering who has dogs inside or out and what are thier feelings on why inside or out is better or worse in regards to dogs health and personal prefrence?
the place for a working dog is in a kennel

Definatelly found my dogs more responsive and eager to work when they've spent a few hours in the kennel rather than fuss arsing about the house.

Also find they get into less trouble, no chewed shoes, stolen food, chewed furniture, all sorts of mischief they can get into. Its not so bad if its only yourself and everyone leaves them alone but get people who ignore your instructions not to do certain things and you can end up with a ruined dog

Back