Thread: atn night vision scope

atn night vision scope

hi all has any one used or owns an atn n/v scope im thinking of going dedicated n/v on my .22lr for bunnies and was thinking of one of these or a pulsar 550 which is a bit more brass any thoughts cheers http://www.deben.com/night-vision-ri...fle-scope.html

I have got an atn, gen 3, awesome bit of kit mate.
    Dedicated on a 22-250, I can see as far on a good night as in the day, with binos.
    Might be bit more than you want to spend but seem a good lot so far.

If that is a gen 1 scope then I wouldn't bother. I would recommend you go for gen2 or digital as a minimum or you will be disappointed.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

The best gen 1 nv unit I have looked through is the pulsar challenger add on unit, you can spot rabbit eye shine to 150 yards and head shoot rabbits to 100 yards on a good night when used with a n1000 laser. An excellent unit for the money if used with a rimmy.

I would hold off buying the n550 as they are bringing out a n750 soon so I would think the price of the n550 will drop and there will be a few more second hand units about as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1372 View Post
    If that is a gen 1 scope then I wouldn't bother. I would recommend you go for gen2 or digital as a minimum or you will be disappointed.
    +1
    It's accuracy that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1372 View Post
    I would say its horses for courses, the gen 1+ challenger is the perfect nv for the 22lr without spending a fortune. It can see twice as far as you are going to ever shoot with the 22lr and you can clearly headshoot a rabbit at any realistic 22lr range. For 300 you can't go wrong, I used one for 12 months and shot 100's of rabbits.

If you do have more money to spend, then digital may be the way to go for value for money. Before buying any digital I would strongly recomend looking at some units first when out in the field before buying one.
    I had a digital unit I used at a cematry which was fine with street lights in the distance, but when I used it in the middle of the moors where it was pitch black I suffered from a sort of dizzy blindness after looking through it as it is quite harsh on your eyes in the pitch black. Some lads have got around this by putting a coloured plastic over the eye piece that you would use on disco lights to dim it down.

Clive ward from nv scopes is also bringing out a digital add on unit as well in the next few weeks so that would another option to consider. If you can get away with digital.

Digital can give quite a good image but usually needs plenty of ir light for best results. If you can afford it then get a gen 2 or 3. I have a gen 3 and can see the other side of a valley at night without any ir light, but in reality when used on a 22lr for rabbits I only need to see to the top of a field.

well thats the thing it would only be used for rabbits upto 50/60 yards with 22 subs im not looking to shoot foxs at 250 yards+as you will all know some nights things will sit for the lamp no probs but on others nothing will stay put i think nv would elimiate this problem ill have a look at the challenger though cheerrs lads

......you may only start with rabbits, but sooner later you will end up doing the foxes and need to spot them out to 250 even though you shoot them at the closer range,
    hence go for gen2 or digital!
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest