Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First day at the does

First day at the does

Thought everyone would have had a tale to tell tonight, i went up to my exeter ground to day to have a look at the fallow, was fortunate enough to take a mature buck and a pricket, saw several others, but nothing safe.
    Problem came when it came to extraction, the pricket had thrown himself into the deepest most inpenetrable brambles ever on the steepest slope on the place, sweated like gary glitter........., anyway best not go there.
    Second one, thought easy, bottom of a valley, gralloch walk back to the truck easy, Nooooooo, farmer has closed the gap, now we are looking at half mile drag on my own with big boy all up serious hill, oh sugar, ring farmer, he is busy , but rings farmer next door, Come on boy drive through here, i,ll give you a hand, how much do you charge to shoot these bast...s, i dont, feckin hell, in that case there are regularly at least 40 on my ground, will you have a go at mine, well it would be rude not to thinks me, so went and looked round his ground, super highways everywhere, going back up as soon as my back stops killing me.
    Hope everyone else have some good luck over the coming weeks,
    Regards MT.

first day at does

jammy bugger wot you need is a golf buggy or if feeling flush an argocat cos it's the dogs nudgers good on you yours the jealous one stone

Hi Mole Trapper,
    Where have you been? You haven't posted for ages, its very nice to have you back. Well done on the Fallow. I've got to come down your way (well Prince Town) after Christmas. It would be nice to have a pint and a chat sometime.

Hi Beowulf, been looking in from time to time, but very busy time of year for me. Picture of yesterdays boys and a picture of the new love of my life. Now I have got shot of the nivara
    Hope these pictures come up. Would be nice to meet up some time (The rock inn at yelverton damned fine beer)

Hey Mole that look like a very reasonable Fallow Buck well done you.

I'm easy, where ever we can get served is my moto Mole Trapper! Very nice Land Rover 8) . Great deer, although isn't the spiker a bit short in the leg?

First day on the does screwed up by the local braindead game-keeper.
    07:30 he comes tear arseing into the wood on that bloody quad bike to spin some grain out for the birds. Not even a Sorry or Good Morning.
    What can you do?? No point explaining and requesting as the average keeper/ wing shooter dont care less ???
    I know I'll run my dogs and landrover through the wood at 05:00 on the day of their shoot and see how they like it.
    No changed my mind on that wouldnt want to stoop to caveman tactics like that sh t-head.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH
    First day on the does screwed up by the local braindead game-keeper.
    07:30 he comes tear arseing into the wood on that bloody quad bike to spin some grain out for the birds. Not even a Sorry or Good Morning.
    What can you do?? No point explaining and requesting as the average keeper/ wing shooter dont care unless ??? I know I'll run my dogs and landrover through the wood at 05:00 on the day of their shoot and see how they like it.
    No changed my mind on that wouldnt want to stoop to caveman tactics like that sh t-head.

Mark
    I can't remember the number of stalks that I've had ruined by farmers or gamekeepers doing just this. I was recenty after a stag in Devon and was waiting for a stag at the edge of the wood to step into the field when the farmer came bumping up the field and ruined the whole thing.

On the other hand, to be fair, there are some real good guys out there as gamekeepers.

I always have a smile to myself when gamekeepers, dog walkers and other ramblers come walking past my position completely unaware that I am there. I was stalking in Herefordshire last year when a very early dog walker came towards me. I had new Realtree camo on and moved about 25 yards off the path, lay in the leaf litter and looked away from the path and she and her dog walked straight past me - a good test of the kit but no point in continuing up the path!

I'm in two minds about my camouflage. What if what really happens is the people you think haven't seen you actually have and are in fact waiting to get out of ear shot to say "Did you see that tw*t pretending to be a tree?"
    I swear its going to happen one day to me, I'll be kitted out like a Japanese sniper and someone is going walk by and say "Good morning".
    Nice to see you back on the site MarkH, where you been? and how are the puppies?

Just come back from the range where I was checking the zero on my 458 Lott for the humane dispatch of wounded or injured animals. Does a injured pheasant count ??
    The puppies are like this at the moment Mr B

Mark