Thread: Maggots

Maggots

Anyone used the above for cleaning heads. Can't see why they won't do the Same job as the beetles.

Cheers Matt.

hi

maggots are great have you ever returned to a fox you have shot in summer maggots strip it clean in a couple of days. I used to work on a maggot farm and we used cows to feed up the maggots they could strip a cow clean in a few days.

very cheap to buy from your local fishing tackle shop a couple of pound for a pint of maggots. just make sure they are in a good container with small air holes or you end up with blue bottles every where.

Regards
    Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

Surely fishing shop maggots have finished feeding? They are at the stage just prior to pupating.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    hi

maggots are great have you ever returned to a fox you have shot in summer maggots strip it clean in a couple of days. I used to work on a maggot farm and we used cows to feed up the maggots they could strip a cow clean in a few days.

very cheap to buy from your local fishing tackle shop a couple of pound for a pint of maggots. just make sure they are in a good container with small air holes or you end up with blue bottles every where.

Regards
    Craig
    Hi I think you are wrong Craig the maggots you buy from the tackle shop will have come off the feed. To strip a head you would have to get the eggs from the bluebottle.Leave a heart out during warm weather and you will get all the eggs you want within 15 mins.Put these eggs on your trophy then cover it in a bucket of bran all the flesh will be removed in 2-3 days depending on temp

I just hang the head from a tree out of sight/smell. Nature supplys the maggots, just leave it long enough and its done!

So easy just put the whole head in a bucket for 2 nights and then cover with compost soil for 2 weeks dont be tempted to look.

After that the head will need power washing and job done .

Maggotts are your friends

They eat the lot.

Oh and I forgot to mention you can then use the maggotts for fishing winner all round.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Surely fishing shop maggots have finished feeding? They are at the stage just prior to pupating.
    your right

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    hi

Regards
    Craig
    If you worked in a bait farm you would know that the maggots had pretty much finished feeding when you took them off the meat,so they wouldn't be any good at all.If you want to get a blow onto a head just put it in a container with a small hole in it and leave it in the garden,you will get proper Blow flies on it rather than the silly little flies.