lightweight moderator for .308

SauerJohn

wanting to fit a moderator to my Sauer 202. there appears to be a few new lightweight titanium/aluminium moderators Alan the market. any suggestions as to which provides a reasonable sound dispersion without unbalancing?

I have tried a cross section of most of the mods on the market over the years and seen/heard several others in use during my time as a Range Conducting Officer.
There are two I would recommend today and they are the A-Tec CMM4 which is a forward mounted Mod or the A-Tec Maxim, which is a over muzzle mounted Mod.
Both are proofed for calibres up to .30 and are Alloy with stainless steel baffles.
There are a few others available made after a similar fashion but are heavier but that is not to say they are not as good.
The only thing I can advise is not to rush into buying one until you have seen/heard several or at least the one you think you want to buy.

To echo what EMcC said, I use a A-Tec CMM4 on my Sauer. I currently have a 24inch barrel on it and I hardly notice the difference with the mod on or off.

I was looking at a couple yesterday

I personally have a Jet Z and love it..

However with the current mods now on the market with the ability to strip down and clean plus the amazing liteweight i might think again.

The A Tec's got to be worth a look

I have the 6 but I reckon I could take of a couple of baffles.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention in my post above.
Both Mods, being modular, can have extra modules added if more attenuation is wanted, I say 'wanted' as opposed to needed because in their 'as is' state with the four modules they are as good as is needed.
I swop my Maxim between my .308 and my 30-06 with good effect.

I can't recommend the Sonic 45 moderator enough: Nielsen Gun Parts

They are very light yet have great noise and recoil reduction. I have one on my Tikka T3 hunter in 30-06 and it doesn't effect the balance at all.

They are also fully stripable for cleaning. I'm not sure what price they are going for in the UK, but my local RFD can't keep them on the shelf here and they are more expensive than most others.
After using one of these I would never go back to the likes of a T8 again.

I also have a sonic 45 fitted to my 6.5 creedmoor and it is just great super light stripable and stainless sections to stop gas cutting great noise reduction, also have other makes, sonic is a good choice IMHO.

PJ.

Why every time this topic crops up does someone suggest JetZ ? Although excellent mods (I've got two myself) the Compact and Northstar are certainly not lightweight as compared to the latest generation of mods out there .Truly lightweight mods are the Atec's,Lawrence Titanium and the recently released Trident

You could do worse than speak to Peter Jackson of Jackson's Rifles- he's a big importer with all the various Tech Spec sheets; I've just recently had a .30 ATEC Maxim (370grams) from him on the basis that, although fractionally heavier than the CMM4 (from memory ~40g), the mixed s/steel and aluminium baffles are longer lasting than the aluminium baffles in the CMM4 (~£13 ea to replace).

Also maybe the ASE UTRA? "..the S5 has been replaced by the lighter SL5, ... Ase Utra have redesigned the original S5 to be shorter and lighter but retain the same sound reducing abilities. The SL5 weighs 410 g against the 590 g of the S5. I have attached data sheets for both the S5 and the SL5, as well as for the A-Tec Maxim."

I have a Lawrence Titanium on my .243 Blaser, if I decide to buy a barrel in a larger calibre I will certainly order another. The advantage over Steel is the light weight and it is more robust (lifetime guarantee) than Aluminium. The downside is the initial outlay, but if you do a lot of shooting or use BT's IMO it is better value.atb Tim

Jet z are very good but heavy. A tec I would think will suit your needs. Baffles can be replaced.

Back