Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight chambering

Tight chambering

Hi folks

as stated in previous threads i am new to reloading.

I have just purchased a lee delux reloading die set.

It comes with a collet neck sizing die, full length resizer, and a seater die.

When full length sizing, (following the instructions given), i am finding that shutting the bolt is tight.

When i just neck size everything seems fine.

Any advise guys would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

Ally

I had the same problem with my 6.5x55 and I backed the die off a half turn and it did the trick. But, that anecdote aside, you may want to take a fired case and measure the expansion ring, the diameter at the shoulder and case length and compare these to a case after FL sizing. A trick to measuring the "cone"of the shoulder and it's relative position is to find a short section of tubing that will slip over the neck of your empty case to rest on the shoulder, then use a vernier caliper to measure from the end of your case to the end of the tubing. Write that down and compare it to cases that have been FL resized and those which are neck-sized only. IT really doesn't matter the length of tubing as long as it's square on both ends and is of a diameter that lands it on the shoulder of the intended case. I used a empty, FL resized and trimmed 38 Special case as a quick look one time....

Anyhow, the measurements should tell you a lot.~Muir

Don't know if this helps but... When I started out reloading I had some problems with chambering some of my reloads and it turned out that the die was somehow managing to push the area where the shoulder meets the body out a little. The difference was nearly impossible to measure but it resulted in the cartridges not chambering fully as this "expanded" area around the shoulder/body junction was sticking in the chamber preventing the cartridge from cliding fully home.

Hi there,

how did you get over this problem mate and did you find out the cause?

you need to bump your shoulders back with either a full length sizing dies or a bump die to reset the headspace

i have a tutorial on it some where ill try and find it for you

Quote Originally Posted by ALLY View Post
    Hi there,

how did you get over this problem mate and did you find out the cause?
    I should have mentioned this, it was simple really. I took a permanent marker and coloured the case black. I then tried to chamber it and I could then see where it was "catching" on the chamber of the rifle. This let me know where the high spots were. After some thought and messing about I concluded that it was the die causing the problem. As far as I could see it was set up correctly but when I tried another die the problem went away.

As others have said this might be that you need to bump your shoulder back more but as my situation was so simple, and simple to investigate, it is worth considering.

Here is a picture of the case I coloured in with the black marker, the photo isn't great but you can see the scrapes in the ink at the shoulder/body junction.

What die did you end up going with?

The lee guarantees accuracy but i am not so sure, my mate swears by rcbs competition dies?

Many thanks

ally

for this remidy you will need any full length sizing die ior better still a redding bump die that sizes purey the shoulders

For what it is worth I went with the Lee collet die as I'm lazy and hate cleaning lube off my cases. Neck sizing with that die has worked well for me but I imagine virtually any die will work well once you get it set up. I'm inclined to think I had a faulty die which caused my problem but it might have been something i was doing wrong. I would expect that me doing something wrong is much more likely than getting a die with a fault.

The lee guarantees accuracy but i am not so sure, my mate swears by rcbs competition dies?

Many thanks

ally
    Lee dies are fine but if you want to spend a small fortune on the RCBS Competition dies it's your money no mine ...................... so feel free to spend it as you like .

Now did you lube the inside of the necks of the cases?

If you did not it's could due to the fact that as you withdraw the expander through the neck it's dragging the neck and shoulder forwards..

Another common problem is having the seating die body to far down and not trimming the cases this tries to crimp the case mouth into the bullet and can crushed the neck down slightly pushing the point of the shoulder and wall outwards slightly making it too large to then chamber....................... been there and done it that too was on the 6.5x55.

That is not a die fault but operator error BTW .