Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Hornady L'N'L overall length Gauge - who should I buy from?

Wanted Hornady L'N'L overall length Gauge - who should I buy from?

I have looked at several shops but cannot decide who to use. As usual I have found Midway to be fairly cheap but it kills me to pay the 8+ for postage that puts the overall cost on par with most other shops.

Anyone any ideas where I can get one for a reasonable price including .243 and .308 modified cases?

I am also looking for a reasonably priced case tumbler - I don't do a great deal of reloading so cannot justify spending a small fortune on one. I have looked at the Frankford Arsenal tumbler at Reloading Solutions and although seems reasonable I cannot find many reviews of this tumbler.

I would also consider S/H if any SD members have either they wish to part with ?

Timney

please pm me i cant advirtise on here but i do make them but please pm me

Why not make a gauge yourself? It's dead easy, all you do is polish out the neck of a case until your bullet of choice fits firm enough to stay put and measure off, but loose enough that you can pull it back out without too much trouble.

Seat the bullet into the case so it is a few mm over published OAL and you can feel slight resistance as you push the bolt forward. Close the bolt onto it gently, and you are pushing the bullet against the lands and seating it back into the case.

Unload it gently and the case and bullet are now set at the length at which the case is against the bolt face and the bullet is against the lands.

Use your calipers to measure the length (preferably with a comparator which will measure to a point on the Ogive of the bullet as measuring to the tip is unreliable, lead tip might be slightly squashed etc). It doesn't matter where on the Ogive you measure because you are only using it comparatively.

So say you unload your 'gauge' and measure it using a comparator and it is X inches.

You want to try 20 thou off the lands?... so all you do is seat your reloads so that they measure (X" - 0.020") using the exact same comparator. Seat it a bit, measure, seat it a bit more, measure, until you get to (X-0.020) inches. Now you know that your load will chamber with the bullet back 20 thou from the lands.

Just make sure the bullet is firm enough so that you can get a good reading. And chamber it and measure it at least three times to check for repeatability.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    You can advertise, you just subscribe to trade member....
    Last edited by csl; 25-03-2012 at 18:55.

i just didnt want to run before i can walk

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Why not make a gauge yourself? It's dead easy, all you do is polish out the neck of a case until your bullet of choice fits firm enough to stay put and measure off, but loose enough that you can pull it back out without too much trouble.

Seat the bullet into the case so it is a few mm over published OAL and you can feel slight resistance as you push the bolt forward. Close the bolt onto it gently, and you are pushing the bullet against the lands and seating it back into the case.

Unload it gently and the case and bullet are now set at the length at which the case is against the bolt face and the bullet is against the lands.

Use your calipers to measure the length (preferably with a comparator which will measure to a point on the Ogive of the bullet as measuring to the tip is unreliable, lead tip might be slightly squashed etc). It doesn't matter where on the Ogive you measure because you are only using it comparatively.

So say you unload your 'gauge' and measure it using a comparator and it is X inches.

You want to try 20 thou off the lands?... so all you do is seat your reloads so that they measure (X" - 0.020") using the exact same comparator. Seat it a bit, measure, seat it a bit more, measure, until you get to (X-0.020) inches. Now you know that your load will chamber with the bullet back 20 thou from the lands.

Just make sure the bullet is firm enough so that you can get a good reading. And chamber it and measure it at least three times to check for repeatability.

Alex

You can advertise, you just subscribe to trade member....
    Thanks Alex, a very simple idea. Will also give that a try.

you can borrow mine anytime, got a 243 case all you would need is the 308 one
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    you can borrow mine anytime, got a 243 case all you would need is the 308 one
    Al
    Even better !!!! Thanks Al, will take you up on that in April.... didn't realise you'd bought one, although I knew you were after one (or wasn't I listening??) !

Hi Alex

I've read about this sort of method before and even tried it, but have had one problem. When I follow your procedure, the case doesn't sit in the bolt face properly, the sprung ejector stud prevents this (if you see what I mean). This means, I think, that I will not measure the OAL correctly.

Am I missing something obvious?

Andrew