Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP ME MAKE MY MIND UP.

HELP ME MAKE MY MIND UP.

after alot of looking around i have decided to go for either anew howa 1500 .270 or a second hand styer prohunter mark2 both are synthetic.
    just not sure if i should go for the new gun or would the styer be a better buy,anyone got any wise words for me.cheers the scudd

Steyr everytime

Hi Scudd
    I vote for the Steyr because I have a pro hunter mountain synthetic in .223 - no experience of Howa's so I am biased.
    I also have a sako 75 syn SS in .243, nice gun but I like the steyr better. The SBS system is great - safe bolt system. The magazine has twin release lugs so there is no chance of it dropping out by mistake. The magazine can also be dropped about 5mm without removing, you can then extract a bullet with the bolt and close w/o chambering another round - I always check on this just in case! It came with a set trigger as standard, screw cut for a mod and a twist rate of 1:9. The sako does have a much nicer stock.
    Do you buy a brand new fiesta or a second hand merc?

Hi Scudd
    I vote for the Steyr because I have a pro hunter mountain synthetic in .223 - no experience of Howa's so I am biased.
    I also have a sako 75 syn SS in .243, nice gun but I like the steyr better. The SBS system is great - safe bolt system. The magazine has twin release lugs so there is no chance of it dropping out by mistake. The magazine can also be dropped about 5mm without removing, you can then extract a bullet with the bolt and close w/o chambering another round - I always check on this just in case! It came with a set trigger as standard, screw cut for a mod and a twist rate of 1:9. The sako does have a much nicer stock.

Quote Originally Posted by W16OEN
    A good analogy. I'd buy a Steyr every time.

Hello Scudd,

Go for the Steyr.

Super smooth action, set trigger and an excellent safety with the Safe Bolt System. Comes threaded and I would have it just because of the detachable mag. Then again I am biased as I have two already a 243 and 30-06.

i had a pro hunter mk2 .sold it and bought a tikka with a set trigger 5 shot mag if you use a bipod the styer might not be the gun for you.

Worth finding out why the Steyr is being sold - some of the Mk2s are still having problems with the fore end contacting the barrels, especially when using a bipod & mod, and need rebedding. I've heard nothing but good about Howas, but as far as I know no models come with a detachable magazine if this is important to you.

i had a pro hunter MK2 fpr about 18 month spent a fortune on glass bedding the action filled all the fore end with resin tried everything you could imagine to sort out the problem of shifting zero a bipod and T8 on the end was a disaster could not hit a mountain let alone a deer . With out both of these you could shoot one hole groups at 100 yds . T8 on its own no bypod not bad groups , the other problem i had was take mod of to clean put back on next morning zero had moved . So i got rid purchased a 20 year old sako that had only fired 40 shots spot on no problems now matches the other 4 i have , 3 of witch are nearly 30 year old and two have been rebareled one with a sako barrel the other a border barrel all will shoot one hole groups with home loads so that will do me . Perhaps i just had a bad one i dont know other people seem happy with theirs . I do know people with HOWAS they say they are very good for the money good luck in your choice of rifle MUDDY

I think most rifles are good to shoot an inch group.
    The weak link is the stock, which is either of such bad quality that it alters the shot because it flexes and changes pressure on the barrel if on or off a bipod. Or the stock is fitted so badly that similar things happen.
    I prefer a cheap rifle with a well fitted and well fitting aftermarket stock to any snazy euro rifle for which I can't even get a decent aftermarket stock.

edi