Thread: Perdiguero de Burgos

Perdiguero de Burgos

Hi all,
    I'm interested in the Spanish Pointer, and was wondering if anyone has one or has had any experiance with this breed? I've not had any luck in finding any breeders in the UK. Are there any?

hi pal, just googled them, nice looking type. would imagine an email to the KC would maybe a starting point
    all the best with the search
    jimmy

Hi Jimmy, they tick all the boxes for me. I looked on the KC website and they are not listed... I was wondering if the KC doesn't recognise the breed.

Cheers Martin

Saw these last summer when in France for the WDS (and mistook them for a funny coloured bracco!). If I remember correctly, I think few are used for tracking and another few are used for driving boar and deer. Mainly used as a pointing dog.
    You would probably need to import if you wanted one.

http://www.perdiguerodeburgos.es/

sue

Going through some websites it looks like a good choice and rpeviously bred for deer tracking. The main breeder appears to be spanish:

http://www.pachonnavarro.com/contenidos/

G
    oogle translate will help with that as I couldnt find an english translation on the site.

Regards

Fraser

Are they an improvement of what we have available ??

Quote Originally Posted by reload View Post
    Hi Jimmy, they tick all the boxes for me. I looked on the KC website and they are not listed... I was wondering if the KC doesn't recognise the breed.

Cheers Martin
    Probably because no one has tried to get them recognised outside their province of origin

Out of interest what would you do with one if you did get one
    from experience I hav ever only seen one in the field and that was no better or worse than the other dogs it was being worked with, but that might well of been the terrain and situ it was
    But I do like seeing the minor breeds work

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Are they an improvement of what we have available ??
    Not sure as an improvement but probably on a par
    But then that depends of what it is trained to do
    And a well trained dog , is a well trained regardless of breed

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Out of interest what would you do with one if you did get one
    from experience I hav ever only seen one in the field and that was no better or worse than the other dogs it was being worked with, but that might well of been the terrain and situ it was
    But I do like seeing the minor breeds work
    Hi Stone, I would train/use it for tracking deer. Maybe I should go for a dog that is readily available over here, but I have fallen in love with these dogs. What can I say? However I don't think I will go to the lengths of importing one. Too expensive and probably not fair on the dog.

Martin

hi martin,
    dont know all the ins an outs of it but a mate of mine sent a patterdale pup to finland a couple of years ago and it wasnt that much hassel so might be worth a few calls/emails and a chat with your vet
    regards
    jimmy