Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Break

Muzzle Break

Chaps

I've got a Rem 700 300 win mag and it kicks like a mule. Does a muzzle break reduce this considerably (40%+?) and has anyone got and affordable recommendation? Below is a photo of the gun, a thin barrel as you can see so anything too chunky may look slightly silly.

Cheers

SClick image for larger version. 

Name:	win.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	13989

I have 1 on my 7mm rem mag and it kicks less then my mates modded 7mm08
    Steve kershaw made and fitted it, Link on my website.

watch it in action here.

no kick and little flip compared to my mates blaser 3006

Sean,

I have a similar, pepperpot style, brake to the above. Mine was made by Mike Norris at Brock and Norris. For the size, weight and cost muzzle brake's are pretty amazing. They take all the snap out of the bigger calibres. You can get one built to match the size of your barrel. You can also get it coated if you want everything to match.

The only downside is they don't reduce noise, so be careful with your hearing. Also, quite alot of the smoke and gases produced come out sideways, through the holes in the brake. This can make you unpopular on a range day - whenever you fire, the shooter next to you gets a very loud bang (even with earmuffs it's loud) followed by a face full of smoke.

Cheers,

Bob
    Last edited by Dovebob; 26-03-2012 at 13:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    Sean,

The only downside is they don't reduce noise, so be careful with your hearing. Also, quite alot of the smoke and gases produced come out sideways, through the holes in the brake. This can make you unpopular on a range day - whenever you fire the shooter next to you gets a very loud bang (even with earmuffs it's loud) followed by a face full of smoke.

Cheers,

Bob
    very true rob but couldn't that be an advantage????????

Indeed it can be John. You're always guaranteed plenty of elbow room on the shooting line.

Nice life jacket by the way - you can never be too careful what with climate change etc.

I once shared a target at Bisley with a bloke using a 300 Win Mag with a muzzle brake fitted. I had earplugs in and ear defenders over the top, and it still took months for my ears to stop ringing. Every time he fired it was like being punched in the face. They are seriously antisocial for range work.

A reflex mod will reduce recoil just as effectively *and* not cause hearing damage.

Another down side is all the crap from the ground that will be kicked up and into your face if you are shooting prone.
    That's what I found when I tried it on a smaller cal. I also found it noisier to boot so I never bothered on my 300 WM

Moderators do not reduce recoil as effectively as a brake and brakes do not make guns noisier, thats a physical impossibility.
    I reckon you guys who belly ache about being next to a guy shooting with a brake on the range complain for the sake of it.
    I regularly shoot next to my mate who has a braked 300 Rum, its not a problem, yes there is side blast and concussion but saying it is like being punched in the face is like saying a summer breeze is like a tropical storm, a huge exageration.
    If you concentrated more on your own shooting and not what your neighbour on the range is doing you would quickly become accustomed to their use and realise that brakes are not antisocial at all.

Ian.

How about a Moderator with a built in Brake? I have one on my 30-06 AI. No need for any Ear protection and recoil is such that i can see Bullet strike through the scope.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    How about a Moderator with a built in Brake? I have one on my 30-06 AI. No need for any Ear protection and recoil is such that i can see Bullet strike through the scope.

Yorkie.
    Like i said to you before Yorkie i am not convinced of the effectiveness of a brake within a mod, to be honest i also reckon that they dont reduce recoil any more the a regular moderator, certainly not as much as a dedicated brake

Ian.