Best wheels for a Defender?

Got a new set of BFG M/T's in 265 on new Boosts sitting in the garage and i was looking for something more aggressive!!

Got a new set of BFG M/T's in 265 on new Boosts sitting in the garage and i was looking for something more aggressive!!

Wow! more aggressive than BFG M/T's eh? There's a challenge.

The last test on muds I saw ranked the BFG's joint winner with the Kumho KL71. Getting more aggressive than that may well be getting into the not road legal category - is that an option?

You may also need to look at upgrading half shafts etc. as with more grip, something has to give somewhere.

How about Insa Special Track's? they are remoulds but generally considered ok despite that. Grizzly Claws tend to eat wheel bearings (don't know why). You might be able to find some old Greenway Anaconda's.

Last edited:
+1 for the insa turbo special traks if its purely for off road,i,ve had bfg mt,s and kumho kl71 on the fourtrak and i,ve got kl71,s on front of defender at the moment cant fault them offroad but the bfg,s probably last longer and in 4 years on the daihatsu i never had one puncture and i do cover a lot of rough stoney ground,nearly went for the insa,s but i think fuel would suffer a bit too much for my liking

Have got the Insa Turbo Sahara's on my 90 at the moment, cannot fault them. Been in some exceedingly muddy situations and they haven't failed me.

Tom

Wow! more aggressive than BFG M/T's eh? There's a challenge.

The last test on muds I saw ranked the BFG's joint winner with the Kumho KL71. Getting more aggressive than that may well be getting into the not road legal category - is that an option?

You may also need to look at upgrading half shafts etc. as with more grip, something has to give somewhere.

How about Insa Special Track's? they are remoulds but generally considered ok despite that. Grizzly Claws tend to eat wheel bearings (don't know why). You might be able to find some old Greenway Anaconda's.

special tracks are certainly aggresive but are really good value for money i had them on my old defender the road noice was a tad bad but just about bareable,ive got insa sahara's on my l200 and never got stuck my woman has got them on her puma to a bit noisy on the road but again never got stuck she pulls horse boxes with them accross all terrain and never had any problems thumbs up from me,also if you need to get rims just get the cheap modulars plenty good enough for off road

Last edited:
Simex Jungle treckers. They are the bench mark for extreme tyres. Not cheap, but superb.
Points to note, Large sizes may cayse some fouling when at full lock or full articulation.
They are a B...ard on wet roads!

Devon 4x4 are the importers I think.

If you want more then use snowchains!

Simex Jungle treckers.

If you use Jungle Trekkers on the road, make sure to make a will first and only drive with people you don't like. If we are considering insane tyres, you could go completely gaga with some Fedima Crosses.

However, once you are getting to this level of grip either uprate the drivetrain or put it in first gear low box and do not under any circumstances touch the throttle.

not an expert but not like any landrover wheels i have ever seen,with a flat centre dish they look more like trailer wheels that happen to fit a landy:-|

not an expert but not like any landrover wheels i have ever seen,with a flat centre dish they look more like trailer wheels that happen to fit a landy
I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good that any landrover wheels i have ever seen,with a flat center dish they look more like trailer wheels that happens to fit a land.

Back