Chamois

baconbutty

Mountaineering in the Austrain Alps at the moment. Lots of chamois around in the quieter areas. Saw a couple chasing last week. Will try and post some pics when I get home. Don't know when the season is here but would be great to be out with a rifle!

i would like to see the pics it would also be nice to know costs involved in stalking chamios in austria i like hunting them in nz fantastic to be in the mountains hunting ,atb wayne

I did this about five or six years ago in Austria (Carinthia) - awesome experience.

Where I was there were loads of chamois - in the National Park areas (Hohe Tuern) I would say a gross over population. I went at the end of October and the first snow had just fallen - the weather was very variable - tea shirts one day full kit the next.

Being Austria the system is very strict - the quotas are absolute and the guides have to shoot exactly the sex and age class allocated to them. You can go through an agent and pay accordingly - I did'nt and paid for the flights, car hire, guest house, guide and trophy fee seperately. Not as taxing as it sounds but the system itself is complicated - the trophy belongs to the commune through the game office, the carcase belongs to the landowner and you must employ an approved local guide (e50/day). You need a contact though. At the time the trophy fee was about e1100.

The season is from about August until November or December - when the snow starts the chamois slowly move down into the trees but its only the depth of the snow that stops them , they are easily capable of coping with the cold and wind. Earlier inthe season you can get to the tree line by car but later you will need to climb - with shorter days this really shortens the hunting and the first time I was there we actually stayed in a hut just on the tree line. The winter coats later inthe season are much prettier.

Has anyone been chamois hunting in the Balkans? It seems quite reasonable in Bulgaria.

Sounds good,
I am working near Innsbruck, Austria at the moment and staying in the ski resort Fügen in the Zillertal.
There is a hunters club underground shooting range 100m x 2 in fügen 1km from me, so lets see if I can get some info together.
Martin

RNJC,

I am off to Slovenia and Croatia, after both Alpine and Balkan chamois in October very much looking forward to it.

I look forward to your pictures BB.

Regards

Alex

Nielaj

How different is the stalking for Alpine and Balkan chamois? If you don't mind me asking, who have you booked through?

Rnjc

Back