Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone identify this malform?

Can anyone identify this malform?

Attachment 13996
    This was shot yesterday, never seen anything like this, nor had the guys with me (we had all shot deer before but are by no means expierianced/expert stalkers) the deer was seen to be wandering along the margins of a marshy piece of woodland in Norfolk at dusk, it came out at about 140yds so could only be I.D'd as a buck muntjac in the fading light and the malform wasnt spotted till it was shot and picked up.

It kept walking/wandering in anti-clockwise circles along the edge of the wood, every now and again it seemed to stop and take a couple of steps backward, it was repeatedly shaking it's head and trying to sctratch itself with it's back legs.
    It kept stopping to scratch it's head against holly bushes as it progressed along the edge of the woods

Probably the wierdest thing is that it only has one ear with no sign of any trauma where the ear should be,it's eyes looked to be ok and there were no other signs of disease, i have frozen the gralloch incase it needed to be further inspected.

The head was kept as the intention is to get it mounted and in an effort to find out what it was we were actually looking at.

Tikkat3

sounds like the one to cull.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Na the more I think about it the more it looks like two halfs of a sausage stuck on the antlers not a cocktail sausage
    Alis, I'm sorry, i thought this was the place to post questions relating to deseases, welfare and biology not cookery?

I (as a novice stalker) along with the other guys that were there decided to get this posted on the forum in order to draw from the vast bank of knowledge available from other members on the site,The only stupid question is the one that don't get asked? whilst i am always up for a laugh and welcome occasional "wind up" it would be appreciated if it could wait till we get to the bottom of things and find out exactly what we have here, after all, that is one of the points of putting stuff on here?

In case it was missed, the beast is missing an ear, and exibiting unusual behaviour in it's walking pattern, how do you explain that?

Tikkat3

I'm sorry I'll delete the post if I can...

Strange looking though. What are the antlers like are they soft or hard to touch? Do they appear scabby or crusty? At the bottom of the left hand side antler looks normal is it the same on the other side?
    Last edited by aliS; 26-03-2012 at 15:18.

I Read an article the other day about a fungal infection that was attacking the pedicles of Indian Muntjac. I hope this isn't an outbreak of this here in the UK??

"It kept walking/wandering in anti-clockwise circles along the edge of the wood, every now and again it seemed to stop and take a couple of steps backward, it was repeatedly shaking it's head and trying to sctratch itself with it's back legs.
    It kept stopping to scratch it's head against holly bushes as it progressed along the edge of the woods"

Did it fall or stagger when it tried to scratch its head? It's missing its left ear, so if the abscence of the ear has led to a deeper infection it would lean to the left and circle to the left (anticlockwise). I've seen this in other animals. It would be interesting to cut into the head (which won't help the mount!) I can't explain the antlers though.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    I'm sorry I'll delete the post if I can...

Strange looking though. What are the antlers like are they soft or hard to touch? Do they appear scabby or crusty? At the bottom of the left hand side antler looks normal is it the same on the other side?
    Appology accepted, no harm done
    To the touch it felt like that builders foam you use to block up gaps round windows etc but with a shiney surface, there was no apparent "scabbing"
    It was almost as if it was "bald velvet" if you know what i mean?
    I'll nip over my mate's as it's in his freezer and have a closer look in the daylight at the peddicles to see if they are different.

Tikkat3

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    I Read an article the other day about a fungal infection that was attacking the pedicles of Indian Muntjac. I hope this isn't an outbreak of this here in the UK??
    Should i be looking at getting the head looked at by a vet?

Tikkat3

i definitely would chap. hope you were wearing gloves during the gralloch!!

atb steve

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Should i be looking at getting the head looked at by a vet?

Tikkat3
    No mate if you need psychiatric assistance you should really go to your doctor ....Seriously does look a bit weird not that Ive seen many Muntjack myself I bet your climbing the walls trying to find out what caused it.
    Last edited by 204 Ruger; 26-03-2012 at 17:41.