gwp - new friends

I'm not normally so fond of pups myself as they are hard work and can get into all sorts of mischief if allowed, but they are certainly entertaining and its fantastic to see them develop and grow virtually as you watch. There is a real feel good factor about having a pup around the place. Really I should have brought a pup on several years ago but the old dog was so territorial that I envisaged problems and let it go.

I didn’t have a lot of choice with names it was the wife and daughter who decided this one but generally I like to keep dog’s names short and simple with it being something appropriate to the breed or characteristic of the dog. The last GWP was called Kaiser, it was either that or it would have been Herman (Herman the German). Previously a yellow lab that I had was named Jim, gentleman Jim because he was such an absolute gent as a pup. Another lab was named Ben but usually answered to “where’s my old black boy then” which I suppose would now be seen as offensive but wasn’t intended to be. Times change and words now often have different meanings or connotations and what was once considered totally acceptable and normal such as Guy Gibson dog’s name (of dambusters fame) is now only used as an extremely offensive term and not merely as a reference to a colour. I was extremely fond of that old dog and he was the easiest going and nicest dog I have ever had. It was a pity that he had problems with hip displacia and couldn't be bred from as many people commented that they would have wanted any pups that he would have sired.

Last edited:
Back