gwp - new friends

8x57

Distinguished Member
View attachment 13997Through shooting and stalking over the years I have had the very great pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with a tremendous number of very nice people. Yes there are one or two rogues about more so with stalking for some reason than with other forms of shooting, you know the guys who want to make a quick buck out of everything, but generally I have been particularly fortunate in meeting genuine sincere people. This has been no more so that the people who have been involved with the SD/H4H shoot over the last two years.
Well my old GWP passed away just before Christmas and I persuaded myself that I was not going to have another dog. Somehow I didn’t however manage to persuade either “she who must be obeyed” nor the two wannabes (daughters), nor for that matter anyone else who really knows me. So for three months now I have looked at adverts on this website and others for dogs and have even set pictures of litters as backgrounds on my computer while all along being solidly determined not to have another dog and in particular all the “fun” of training a pup. In fact the last two weeks have been spent digging out the rear garden previously used as the dog’s lawn and clearing and sieving the flower beds ready for the splendid flower garden I had planned this year.
On Saturday totally out of the blue dav3p off this site sent me a private message he had heard that I had lost my dog and wondered if I would be interested in one of the dogs from the recent litter he had bred from his GWPs. Well it was only 80 miles to his place and while I didn’t have any intention of getting another dog you have to go and have a look don’t you, so it was a trip down west yesterday morning. The result is that I am working at the computer today with a little liver coloured GWP pup tucked up in a basket at my feet the sun streaming in through the window and warming his little body. The little dog is a real beaut and is currently “chasing rabbits” in his dreams and wagging his little tail quite happily. Meanwhile I look out of the window at the garden and can see tiny little paw prints the full length of the flower beds all the way up and down my garden. Isn’t funny how much absolute pleasure you can get from just glancing down occasionally and watching this little mite growing in his sleep and thinking how is this one going to develop and what does the future hold. So once again I have a new best mate that will to get me out of the house for “the sake of the dog”, and yet again have had the absolute pleasure of meeting a genuine and sincere fellow shooter and country lover that gwp is. I am glad that we passed the interview for one of his dogs because I am fairly sure that gwp is far more concerned that the pups go to the right home rather than simply grabbing the money as some would. Gwp it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife, and the pup is settling in well, though I have to say he is busy.

Last edited:
Cracking pup mate. Hope to get a gwp pup myself somtime this year. Hope yous have many years of happyness and great shooting adventures together. ATB with the training.
FS25

Beautiful.... he looks wise before his years.....

One day, just maybe...

All the best.

Neil.

What a sucker!
Said all that to myself in the past but in reality life without a dog would be a bit boring me thinks.
ATB Neil.

My old dog weighed 35Kg when in his prime, his weight went up to 37kg in his last year or so. He was a real strong and powerful dog in his prime years. I will find out what the new one weighes tomorrow when I take him to the vets but if he is like his parents he will be a strong good natured dog. He seems to have grown a bit in the last 24 hours and that's not just wishful thinking because we have all noticed it. We have named the new one BRNO. I was going to call him Mauser or the German equivalent for Brown (Brun ?) but the wife decided on BRNO along with the younger daughter who has just started shooting and uses my .22 Brno at the rifle club.

Really nice pup you have got, all the best training him:thumb:.
As with all GWP pups he has that butter wouldnt melt look off to a tee already:rolleyes:.
Sinbad
P.S let me know when you start collecting for H for H again.

Yes he does look innocent just like all pups do and no doubt training will prove interesting, but for the time being he is still a baby and needs to settle in first. The breeder (gwp) sent me a message earlier saying that he is still looking for good working homes for the remainder of the litter. He makes it quite clear that the emphasis is on good homes and working. All the pups are good strong dogs all appear to be of a similar size and all alert and responsive.

With regard to the H4H shoot I am just getting things sorted but Roedinator has already kicked things off with the offer of a day roe stalking in Somerset. That prize will be used for the prize draw. He has even offered that the winner will be able to take a carcass home with them.

Its for sure he has a good home Mike with you and your family, he's a lucky pup, wish you and the girls all the best with Brno, have fun.

just going for a look,no such thing :rofl::rofl:

Your mostly right there longhair he probably was sold as soon as I got in the car to go and have a look, but I'm not that soft that I wouldn't have walked away if I hadn't liked what I saw as regards the pup's parents and the breeder. The breeder has been a site member for quite some time and rarely posts so won't be able to post in the classified section of the site as he doesn't have the necessary 30 postings. So I have said that I will post an advertisment on his behalf and pass on contact details to anyone seriously interested in a pup. I will however warn anyone replying to the advertisment that the breeder is insistant that the pups will only go to the right homes and working homes at that, these dogs are not intended as mere pets.

Cracking dog if the breeder was closer i would be tempted myself i will get one one day, good look with your training im sure it will be fun

Sorry guys for any problems caused because I mentioned the wrong person who contacted me in my original posting. The breeder is dav3p and not GWP. :oops:

Looks a smashing pup, I had a GWP, Eva from the disputed U-Boat Mull descendancy, lost her young more than 10 years back, it broke my heart and haven't replaced her but I have to admit stalking has never been quite the same without her.

cracking looking pup , i like pups about the place , ive got two terrier bitches lined now , cant wait . Then its the old problem , names

Back