A homing device

barongcw

It seems to me quite practical if one could have a homing device or a GPS marker that one could place on a shot deer so that you can continue stalking and somebody else, having a receiver/tracer, can collect it.

Does somebody know if such devices exist? Or has a suggestion how to solve this problem?

a normal gps should do it most have a back track facility just store in the coardinates and carry on or send the coardinates to someone else ,you would need two gps devices though hope that helps,wayne

Just carry a portable GPS, and send the details to a mate - same as the GeoCachers do.

Or learn to use an OS map, and a compass!

There is an app called Bsafe which when activated sends a text to selected persons with your given co-ordinates at the time of activating it. If they have a smart phone with Google earth they could navigate to the co-ordinates.

I have it installed on my iphone in case I hurt myself whilst out hunting, but it could be used to trasmit your position at the kill.

Here's a link to the webpage, you need a mobile signal for it to work.

http://www.bipper.com/bsafe/

YouTube vid of the app:

Last edited:
Just carry a portable GPS, and send the details to a mate - same as the GeoCachers do.

This is exactly what we do in Scotland. The stalker captures a waypoint by resting his GPS unit on the carcase and then calls/texts the eight figure grid reference to the ghillie in the Argo. The ghillie has another GPS on which he types in the grid reference and hey presto, instant carcase locator. It works perfectly, even at night or when the clouds drop.

The only annoying thing (apparently) is when I turn to the stalker during a final approach and whisper "25 metres in that direction is where I shot my beast in 2004" ;)

willie_gunn

This is exactly what we do in Scotland. The stalker captures a waypoint by resting his GPS unit on the carcase and then calls/texts the eight figure grid reference to the ghillie in the Argo. The ghillie has another GPS on which he types in the grid reference and hey presto, instant carcase locator. It works perfectly, even at night or when the clouds drop.

The only annoying thing (apparently) is when I turn to the stalker during a final approach and whisper "25 metres in that direction is where I shot my beast in 2004" ;)

willie_gunn

Thank you, just what I was looking for. And on top free advice how to make yourself popular with the stalker!

Thank you, just what I was looking for. And on top free advice how to make yourself popular with the stalker!

If it helps, you don't need anything fancy, just a simple GPS that you can pick up on eBay for peanuts. I have a couple like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magellan-...ics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item43ae66f97c

Just search for "Magellan 315" and you'll find them.

The stalker uses a Garmin, which is a bit more sophisticated, something like this (though perhaps not this exact model): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-eT...ics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item3f154a8593

So long as you can record, and enter, Ordnance Survey 8 figure grid references you'll be fine.

willie_gunn

We have used this method in the urban area just stand on deer with mobile app phone and send GPS by txt the receiver your mate with deer dog goes to ref point and looks for your marker eg big stick with rag on top or in near hedge let dog go bobs your uncle. Great if you need to go to work and have a mate with time on his hands.

If it helps, you don't need anything fancy, just a simple GPS that you can pick up on eBay for peanuts. I have a couple like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magellan-...ics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item43ae66f97c

Just search for "Magellan 315" and you'll find them.

The stalker uses a Garmin, which is a bit more sophisticated, something like this (though perhaps not this exact model): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-eT...ics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item3f154a8593

So long as you can record, and enter, Ordnance Survey 8 figure grid references you'll be fine.

willie_gunn

Thank you for this, most helpful. Two further questions.

How precise is the 8 figure grid reference? Within 10 meters or 50 or more?

And do you know if for instance you track wounded wild boar in Germany and have a few to collect can you store the coordinates of each of them, transmit them together and then the pickup can go from one to the other or has the GPS no memory facility?

I dont know, it all sounds too efficient. surely wandering up and down the hill for hours looking for the fourth hind dropped, walking back to where the shot was taken again and again and scanning back is part of the tradition, together with the appropriate vocabulary. Getting sent into a corrie of waist deep heather with the instruction " ye canna mis it i tied a clump of heather to the antler"! or it's beside the square rock and the corrie is boulders for 3/4 of a mile.
Thankfully i'm on a grass hill now and you can see a beast from a couple of kilometers if your looking in the right direction.

I dont know, it all sounds too efficient. surely wandering up and down the hill for hours looking for the fourth hind dropped, walking back to where the shot was taken again and again and scanning back is part of the tradition, together with the appropriate vocabulary. Getting sent into a corrie of waist deep heather with the instruction " ye canna mis it i tied a clump of heather to the antler"! or it's beside the square rock and the corrie is boulders for 3/4 of a mile.
Thankfully i'm on a grass hill now and you can see a beast from a couple of kilometers if your looking in the right direction.

You forgot about the fun trying to lit a few fires in the rain to indicate to the ghillie which burn the stag is in.

Thank you for this, most helpful. Two further questions.

How precise is the 8 figure grid reference? Within 10 meters or 50 or more?

And do you know if for instance you track wounded wild boar in Germany and have a few to collect can you store the coordinates of each of them, transmit them together and then the pickup can go from one to the other or has the GPS no memory facility?

The precision depends upon the number of satellites that the GPS can lock on to. Typically once there are three or more satellites then it can get pretty good accuracy, certainly down to 10m or so. As it locks onto more satellites so the precision increases. I think the best I have seen is within about 3ft, but bear in mind that's on the top of windswept Ben, with nothing between me and the satellites but gallons of rain!

You may have a problem in German forests in that, if the GPS can't lock onto the satellites because of the tree cover, you may not get the precision you are looking for. You'll have to give it a try.

So far as the second question, all the co-ordinates can be stored as waypoints, of which the Magellan I've got can hold hundreds. So for each boar you could store them on one GPS, each as a seperate waypoint (the Magellan lets you add notes, so you can specify what the waypoint represents). Then you can transmit them to the other GPS by text, phone, soggy newspaper or whatever, and they can then go out and collect them. Bear in mind here that the GPS units are not strictly talking to each other - what you are doing is recording them on one GPS and then just calling the other person and texting/telling them what they are.

willie_gunn

George i once gave a Forestry contractor a 8 digit ref and he said he could not find the place but his boss said they are accurate to within mtrs if you have enough signal. If you have a good deer dog and get to with in 20mtr you will have no problem finding

George i once gave a Forestry contractor a 8 digit ref and he said he could not find the place but his boss said they are accurate to within mtrs if you have enough signal. If you have a good deer dog and get to with in 20mtr you will have no problem finding

There a waste of money you don't need batteries with a map and compass they are alway correct
No matter how old still work when there dropped .

Thank you but the collection would be done with as man without a dog. But what you say he should be able to find them.

Guys,

We could be a little behind the times here, would appear South Glos deer poachers have been using this tech for some time. On vechicle stops and shoots then another comes along and picks up beast.

Anybody using a HTC phone to take pics may notice in the pics details are the exact coordinates where the photo was taken!!!

V easy to send and then locate.
ATB

D

Guys,

We could be a little behind the times here, would appear South Glos deer poachers have been using this tech for some time. On vechicle stops and shoots then another comes along and picks up beast.

Anybody using a HTC phone to take pics may notice in the pics details are the exact coordinates where the photo was taken!!!

V easy to send and then locate.
ATB

D

Now that is a good tip. Thank you.

i phone also has an app gps motion x gps it stores waypoints and backtrack also does store pics to a destination i used it in new zealand while we hunted the only downside is gps facility eats battery life . i took a small solar panel to recharge the phone but it wasnt enough,atb wayne ps it is very detailed with google maps as well

Back