Thread: long barrelled pistol

long barrelled pistol

I have seen long barrel pistols on guntrader.Do these still come under section 5 or are they classified as rifles

Quote Originally Posted by mickjgardner View Post
    I have seen long barrel pistols on guntrader.Do these still come under section 5 or are they classified as rifles
    In this case I believe Wikipedia is correct:
    Long-barrelled revolvers and pistols

"Long-barrelled revolvers" and "long-barrelled pistols" meeting specified criteria are not classified as prohibited pistols; it is legal, with a Class I Firearms Certificate, to own them. The barrel must be at least 30 cm long, and the firearm at least 60 cm long, which can be achieved by having a permanently attached extension to the grip or butt of the firearm. Single-shot firearms of any calibre, and semi-automatic pistols of .22 rimfire calibres, are permitted.

They are certainly not Section 5.

Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    In this case I believe Wikipedia is correct:
    Long-barrelled revolvers and pistols

"Long-barrelled revolvers" and "long-barrelled pistols" meeting specified criteria are not classified as prohibited pistols; it is legal, with a Class I Firearms Certificate, to own them. The barrel must be at least 30 cm long, and the firearm at least 60 cm long, which can be achieved by having a permanently attached extension to the grip or butt of the firearm. Single-shot firearms of any calibre, and semi-automatic pistols of .22 rimfire calibres, are permitted.

They are certainly not Section 5.
    Exactly correct...you will need to be a member of a rifle/pistol club with a suitable range though to meet your good reason requirements.

Jim

Thanks I was just wondering about one for humane despatch

Not suitable for humane dispatch. Good reason is target shooting for these gun. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Not suitable for humane dispatch. Good reason is target shooting for these gun. Full stop.
    Again absolutely correct....not a hope in hell of getting one for humane dispatch.

Why not request a normal pistol for that, much smaller and more pratical....and more of a chance of getting one conditioned for hd (as long as you can demonstrate "good reason")?

Jim

I am a qualified pest controller so would prob be able to get a full bore pistol but would be far too noisy in someones garden despatching a fox.May be better to use a rifle cut down to as small as you can legally go with a moderator on

Dispatching anything with a full bore pistolin an urban scenario... you'll only do that once.

For foxes in a garden get a .22 pistol with a silencer, you will not be granted a lb pistol as a hd, as crazy as it is they will issue you a hd pistol exactly the same model as a lb but with the normal barrel