Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 1887 low pressure 12 bore ammo

Winchester 1887 low pressure 12 bore ammo

I have one of these and am looking to shoot it. I don't think it wise to use run of the mill modern ammo nor do I want to go the black pwder route - too bloody messy. Reloading may be an option but it means I have to buy yet more gear. Does anyone know of commerically available low pressure or reduced load shotgun ammo for vintage guns?

Thanks
    John

hello old boy how about the sub sonic cartridges available for moderated shotguns, are you going on the next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    hello old boy how about the sub sonic cartridges available for moderated shotguns, are you going on the next weekend.
    If they'll have me then definitely yes. Just to let you know April 13th is probably my last trip to Hungary. Send me a pm.

There is a company in the US called RST that produces low pressure loads for vintage shotguns using smokeless powders. In lieu of a specialty shell like that, you're best to stick with black powder, or the equivalent loaded with a black powder substitute. I don't know about sub-sonic shotgun shells but pressure and velocity are independent of each other; you'd want to check the pressure levels of these before you shoot them if breech strength is an issue.~Muir

The guy I work for shoots driven pheasant with a Purdey hammer gun with demascus barrels and shoots gamebore 65mm shells it was made in 1874 I think and he has no problems.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Thanks guys.
    I did find some US sites incl. RST when googling for vintage low power ammo. Unfortunately this side of the pond such ammo seems unavailable.
    Whilst I appreciate some people fire regular ammo in vintage guns, sikadog, this does not answer the question whether this is a good idea.

375 If you are worried why not have it re proofed and then you are sure, a friend has just had a turn of the century 10 bore reproofed from 2 5/8 chambers to 3 1/2 inch chambers it passed easily
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    375 If you are worried why not have it re proofed and then you are sure, a friend has just had a turn of the century 10 bore reproofed from 2 5/8 chambers to 3 1/2 inch chambers it passed easily
    I am waiting on the variation to come through, then I will have a closer look at the proof marks. The barrel looks pretty solid, I imagine it's made of what they called fluid steel. It's the action I am worried about. I don't think it will malfunction in a "there goes my face" sort of way. It's more that with modern ammo there will inevitably be greater wear. Good idea though, I might consider it.

Thanks
    John

I'm no expert but surely there are thousands of 19th century shotguns still in regular use, I've got a couple myself.
    I can't see why your lever action should be any weaker than a damascus SxS.

Valid point! I've just had a look on the Winchester owners website and found this:

"Winchester's Model 1887 was offered in both 10 and 12 gauge chamberings and its broad receiver side proudly bore a WRA Co. monogram. This strong rolling block design, operated by the traditional Winchester lever action, was favored by express companies and law enforcement. The size and strength of its latest lever-action provided Winchester with a unique experimental platform. A limited number of Model 1887s were built with rifling near the muzzle, and were chambered for the massive .70-150 cartridge. Firing a 700 to 900 grain projectile, this repeater used a necked-down metallic shotshell."