Thread: rifle stock alterations

rifle stock alterations

was wondering if any on had or knows iff it is poss to alter a rifle stock to take a nother make ie rem stock to take a tikka t3 action

just because rem stocks are easy to get hold of haven took my tikka out of its stock to have a look next to my rem to see the diff

or is this just not poss?

ATB tim

Alot of work although possible, probably not financially viable unless you do it yourself

thats what i was thinking all depends how hard it is to do and get right its a shame that the t3 hasnt caught up yet with coustom parts as they are a cracking rifle and altho i like my rem i prefer mt tikka in a lot of ways and have a thing for thumb hole stocks that are twice the price for a tikka than a rem

Quote Originally Posted by grousekeeper View Post
    thats what i was thinking all depends how hard it is to do and get right its a shame that the t3 hasnt caught up yet with coustom parts as they are a cracking rifle and altho i like my rem i prefer mt tikka in a lot of ways and have a thing for thumb hole stocks that are twice the price for a tikka than a rem
    The reason that not so many bits are available for rifles like the Tikka and Sako is because frankly they don't need them while the Remington 700 does.

As for alterign the stocks I would say it was major work as the Tikka has a flat bottomed action whilst the Rem 700 is made out of a bit of old round tube with a stamped out bit of plate clamped between barrel and action as a recoil lug.

Now out of interest i did a quick web search and found these:-

http://www.gunworx.com.au/thumbhole-sporter-laminated-rifle-stock-tikka-t3-p-28.html

http://www.tikkaperformance.com/Tikka%20T3%20Thumbhole%20Tactical%20Laminate%20Sto ck

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=featherweight

Now I don't have a Tikka and never have owned one but have shot a few and far prefer them to the Rem 700. I see from one forum that if enough folks ask Boyds Stocks about the Tikka's they will add them to their line up.

Also found this snippet:-

Hi there,Ive just bought my second Thumbholehole stock made by Gunworx, in the UK at Chris Potters gun.co.uk
    Might be worth asking them.

Good Luck with your search.

I personally think thumbhole stocks are totally overrated.
    I somehow also find having slightly less contact or more relaxed contact with the stock helps in accuracy.
    Had a customer in this week who said I mount my scopes too far back, well yes and therfore I can also soot at something steep below me without needing to dislocate my neck. A scope further back also leads to less mussle tension to get a sight picture which leads to a more relaxed shot.

Like Redmist said, a very tedious job to fit a rifle in a different stock. We recently converted a right hand T3 stock to take a left hand long action stiller tactical and bedded it....turned out great but the work that went into it....

edi
    Last edited by ejg; 27-03-2012 at 23:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    The reason that not so many bits are available for rifles like the Tikka and Sako is because frankly they don't need them while the Remington 700 does.

As for alterign the stocks I would say it was major work as the Tikka has a flat bottomed action whilst the Rem 700 is made out of a bit of old round tube with a stamped out bit of plate clamped between barrel and action as a recoil lug.

Now out of interest i did a quick web search and found these:-

http://www.gunworx.com.au/thumbhole-sporter-laminated-rifle-stock-tikka-t3-p-28.html

http://www.tikkaperformance.com/Tikka T3 Thumbhole Tactical Laminate Stock

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=featherweight

Now I don't have a Tikka and never have owned one but have shot a few and far prefer them to the Rem 700. I see from one forum that if enough folks ask Boyds Stocks about the Tikka's they will add them to their line up.

Also found this snippet:-

Might be worth asking them.

Good Luck with your search.
    cheers i think t3 stocks are becomeing more avalabul and its looking like id have to get a stock designd for a t3 rather than mod one like i say i have a t3 and a rem and the feel and build of the t3 is a lot better i also carnt nock my rem for acuracy to be fair but it just dosent feel as solid and nice to use ill keep searching the stocks atb tim

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    I personally think thumbhole stocks are totally overrated.
    I somehow also find having slightly less contact or more relaxed contact with the stock helps in accuracy.
    Had a customer in this week who said I mount my scopes too far back, well yes and therfore I can also soot at something steep below me without needing to dislocate my neck. A scope further back also leads to less mussle tension to get a sight picture which leads to a more relaxed shot.

Like Redmist said, a very tedious job to fit a rifle in a different stock. We recently converted a right hand T3 stock to take a left hand long action stiller tactical and bedded it....turned out great but the work that went into it....

edi
    hi edi i spoke with you before about your stocks and asked if you did thumb holes and like you say you dont i see wear you are comeing from i supose its eatch to ther own and i just feel at home wen i pick a thole up

tim

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Absolutely - and if you get the pull length right (which is almost always longer than the rifle is supplied with) so that the right (or left if you're a cack hander) elbow joint isn't too closed, I've found that I can get people shooting much more accurately with no other changes. The over compression of the elbow joint is obviously greatly worsened when wearing heavy jackets and if the blood supply is consequently restricted, the shakes in the right forearm/hand will start almost immediately.

Tis it not funny that the older classic rifles all have longer, usually in my limited experience, butt stocks and so Length of Pull than modern rifles. Have lost count of the times that people have told me:-

You should get that stock shortened ........................... it's too long
    When shooting one of my classic rifles. Strangley enough none that say this are stockers of rifles smiths or even shooting coaches I did have a thinner recoil pad fitted to my Parker-Hale 1200V as the LOP was a tad too long. A slightly thinner pad from a P-H 1100 Lwt sorted that out.