The Perfect Gun Cabinet, 6 Guns for all Tasks.

Stover Rover

The six guns for all tasks in my perfect cabinet.

1. .177 springer airgun
2. .22LR
3. 222
4. 6mm Norma BR
5. 7mm-08
6. 12G

6 Guns? Sorry 6 doesn't cover all my shooting.
.177 Springer -clearance of ferral pigeons inside barns
.22LR bolt action - rabbit clearance
.22LR semi-auto - target shooting
.223 - target shooting/fox
.243 - Deer
12 bore side by side - rough shooting, pigeon, ducks etc.
12 bore over and under - clay pigeons
12 bore 10 shot semi-auto - practical shotgun
Eight guns to date. Trying to keep the number down but I really fancy buying a side by side 20 bore and how about a .270 for Reds?

The part of me that yearns for a simple life is increasingly drawn to the idea of a perfect gun collection that comprises only of a pretty German-built drilling with 7 x 65R rifle barrel (plenty of choice of bullet weights for most fox / deer / sheep / goat / antelope / pig species and probably enough ooomph for bears), a 22Lr insert for the left 16b shotgun barrel (vermin, rabbits, hares etc) and the right 16b barrel for walked up birds (with the option of solid slugs for burglars and pirates) or even both shotgun barrels in play and an empty rifle for a few driven birds - then add in a small quick-release scope even more versatility. The added bonus is that the perfect gun cabinet would be very small indeed...

...or have I just caught Farrington's Disease?

I think I could probably 'survive' with 5 rifles:

a .22LR
an F/TR rifle
2 deer rifles
a .375H&H or .404

But I'd also like a nice double rifle and a farquharson single shot...

Not sure about shotguns though... probably another 5!

You say that (the politically correct term is 'West Country careful :norty:)...but I have just had a look at the price of a new drilling and had to sit down for a moment! I could go 9/10s of the way to the 6 gun collection with that amount of cash, or even a Blaser and a small heap of spare barrels.

i have 6 guns witch seem all to get used fairley regulary.
-22. cz for most things ,mostley squirrles on pheasent feeders
-17hmr cz rabbits and crows
-243 howa ,foxes and deer
-12g old bsa s/s for pheasents and pigeons
-20g spanish s/s for them high pheasents
-12g francie 5 shot , just put that back in the cabinet after blasting a few drays
Oh maby 7 then ,, forgot the cz 177 air gun ,
On my wish list is a lee enfeild 303 .Just always wanted one . and a 8 bore . Just because my freind has a 10g an i wouldent mind outgunning him .

I'll start with the five I have:

22lr semi auto pistol
22lr semi auto rifle
30-30 lever action
30-06 bolt action
12 guage side by side

These should cover everything from small vermin and birds, to large game and the lever action acts as a great driven and brush hunting gun.

I'd like to add a .223 in semi auto AR platform to cover foxing. It will be hell to get one, due to my area, but I'm going to try in the next two years or so. If it doesn't work, a good bolt action .223 will be on the way.

On my wish list is a lee enfeild 303 .Just always wanted one

Ditto - it was the first rifle I ever fired at the young age of 11... and I just want one!

I'm (fairly) happy with my lot:

.177 PCP Webley air rifle - pigeons & other vermin
.22 FAC BSA Supersport (springer) - plinking (it's getting old, 19 years old...)
12G s/s (very) old Italian (Bignotti) hammer shotgun (my first 'firearm' swapped for a bottle of Bushmills) - the odd foray in the field
12G o/u Browning 525 - rabbits/birds
17HMR CZ - rabbits
.243 Tikka T3 - deer/foxes

And I'd add a 30-06...

I have six rifles.
22 Finnfire
22 Ruger 10/22
243 Sako 75
223 AR15
308 RPA Hunter
7.62 Lee Enfield Envoy/L42

They all get used fairly regularly.
If we are adding shotguns, then there are a few more!

Just dont tell the wife what they are worth!

In my cabinate I have: (that sounds like the start of a drinking game)

.177 webley air rifle
22lr semi auto
222rem vermin
270 t3 lite stainless synthetic (my goto tool)
270 tikka 659
270 parker hale estate rifle
a lovley old 275 rigby (my grate grandfathers) (too scared to take to the hill)
28g sxs AYA my sons shotgun
20g sabatti o/u my daughters
12g browning o/u my "smart" shotgun
12g plastic semiauto to abuse as I feel like

weird but I wouldn't sell any as they all get a fair amount of use although the 12g semiauto, 222 rem and the t3 lite get the most.

the 275 rigby is a stunning rifle and an hairloom I even have some original ammo in the cotton wool filled box from knyoch

Andy

22lr sako rabbits, vermin
25-06 sako deer
Aya Sbs 12g x 3. For rough shooting and for guests
Wm Powell sbs 1872 Damascus 12 g.

6 in total.....plus black widow catapult for various activities !

1. .17HMR Anschutz 1517 Thumbhole (Vermin) + S&B 4-16x50 Varmint scope.
2. .22LR Browning T-Bolt sporter (Vermin) + S&B 1-8x24.
3. .22LR Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 (Target Shooting) + Eotech 512 and Eotech G33 magnifier.
4. .204Ruger Custom bat machine action and stainless match heavy barrel (Varmint Shooting) + Swarovski 6-24x50 PVS.
5. 7mm-08 Custom Surgeon action and semi heavy barrel (Stalking) + Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50.
6. .308Win Accuracy International AW (Target shooting) + S&B PMII 5-25x56.

Total Cost = £17 500 so not to much.
This would be my setup if I won the lottery, it is nice to dream sometimes :)

Last edited:
1. .22LR Bruno no2 bolt action.
2. .222 Tikka M595 with a match grade stainless barrel
3. .243 Remington SPS Stainless + Doctor 8 x 56 LP
4. 30-06 My latest aquasition Tikka M695 Delux + 8 x 56 4i Swarovski
5. 12G O/U Browning.

john

1. Webley FX 2000 .22 PCP with SWTC scope Logun silencer
2. Ruger .22 77/22 with Leupold vari PH mod
3. Sauer 202 .22.250 with Swaro Tdsi
4. Sauer 202 .243 with Swaro Tdsi and T8
5. Beretta 28g EELL
6. Beretta 627 20g sbs EELL
7. Browning C12g 20b o/u
8. Browning B2g 12g o/u
9. Webley & Scott 701 12g sbs
10. Beretta AL391 urika syn 12g.... I really need another hobby.

Last edited:
Gotta admit i do all my hunting with deer/big game rifles, of which i have three currently - but one is strictly for visitors. I shoot everything from cottontails to wapiti with my two rifles - and the odd buffalo as well. For me, shooting rabbits and other vermin is just practice for big game hunting. In fact, i went thru a stage of "plinking" rabbits with a 375 H&H, because it was good practice for when it really mattered that every shot counted. It is much easier to kill a buffalo with a 375 H&H than it is a little bunny! Admittedly, my nearest neighbour was 10 miles away, so noise pollution wasn't really a consideration. Nevertheless, you get out in the backyard plinking bunnies with a 375 H&H, and i would suggest it is highly unlikely any of your neighbours will come over and complain!

Essentially, i have a little browning .308 pump for "woods hunting" and general plinking, and a single bolt-actioned rifle for everything else. I'd rather have fewer rifles rather than more. Every now and again i get the longing for a SxS 20g for rabbits, but then i always figure i am just as likely to see a deer, so it is always the 308 that will go out with me - i can foresake the odd bunny for the chance of venison (we don't have wingshooting). And hitting running bunnies with the 308 is excellent practice. I have an allergy to heavy barrels and "tactical" rifles - my rifles and glass must be simple and efficient with no unnecessary weight or gimmickry, and optimised to work quickly from 3 to 300 yards in any field position that might come up (including a quick offhand shot at close range in heavy cover), and the rifle must not impede my mobility. But the most important thing is that i am proficient with my rifle, and that means using just one or two rifles and using them for everything. I am even very simplistic with my reloading - i only need one or two loads, and i just ensure that i know the ballistics of each load backwards.

My experience is far more folks suffer from having too many guns, rather than too few. And similarly, far more folks suffer from having unnecessarily complicated guns and glass, rather than suffering for lack of "functions" or "aids".

Back