Thread: 7x57 reloading

7x57 reloading

I've just concluded my long search for a decent Kipplauf by purchasing a Heym 44 in 7x57 - a calibre that doesn't appear to get much mention on here.

Has it become that unfashionable - maybe I should refer to it as the .275 Rigby for some added cachet - ballistically it doesn't appear to be much different from the 7-08?

Does anyone reload for it? I'll probably be looking at the 140gr or 150gr offerings from Nosler, either Partition or BT.

BTW. Seen the new 'Varmageddon' bullets from Nosler? http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Varmageddon.aspx

I have been researching the 7x57. Problem is because it has been around for so long, most of the current data is fairly aneamic due the fact that it might be used in old rifles. If you search other forums you should be able to get data for 2900fps for 140gr and some people use 7-08 data as a starting point although I must qualify I CANNOT recommend this for fear of being sued. Best start low and work up slow. The 7x57 actually has a bigger capacity than the 7-08 so you should be able to go faster, especially with heavier bullets, but you will struggle to find any official data that does. Getting recipes off other people is like asking to have sex with their virgin daughter. I really do not know why you cannot tell someone the recipe for a hot load. At the end off the day if you reload it is your responsiblity, if a gun blows up in your face how could you prove how much powder the cartridge was loaded with ? Who is to say that you did not put more than recommened in that particular cartridge ? The powder would be burnt and the rifle knackered.

I shoot 7x57 and have for 32 years. It may be frustrating that much data is geared towards Remington Rolling Block rifles and 1893 Mausers, but I have not found that this data inhibits the performance of the cartridge on game. If you want to push the cartridge in a modern bolt action you simply take established data and keep going in increments. If you don't have a chronograph, you will never know when the law of diminishing returns kicks in but you can still proceed carefully.

If you must have hotter data, you can look towards the Speer #12 reloading manual which has data they warn is only for modern rifles. I think "Pet Loads" from Wolf Publishing also has some of the warmer loads for modern 7x57 rifles. I confess that my main 7x57 has been a mannlicher-stocked Mauser that I've been shooting since 1981. Long ago I settled on the Speer 145 grain spitzer (now called "Hot Core") over a stout charge of H-1831. Everything I've shot this load at has pretty much fallen in it's tracks, or darned close. The speeds are right around 2700 fps. This past fall I used 140 gr PPU BTSP's with great results. Accuracy was/is great. Great cartridge.~Muir

Owning and operating a 7x57 is an exercise in nostalgia, and there are some very fine rifles about in this calibre. I would imagine the Heym 44 is actually in7x57R, but this firm manage to do drillings in both rimmed and rimless versions of the same cartridge.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 7x57, but as it needs a long action it seems to have gone into terminal decline since the .270 appeared. Factory loadings aren't loaded to the cartridge's full potential, so have added to it's problems.

There will be no problem in using 7mm-08 data for the 7x57. The Speer manual #13/#14 has loads at +P pressures - 50,000CUP rather than 46,000 CUP (SAAMI) which are recommended for modern bolt-actions.

It lists 7x57 - 145gr Speer at 52.0grs Reloder 22 for 2800 FPS (M77 22") agains a 7mm-08 with the same bullet @ 51.0grs Reloder 22 at 2930FPS (M700 24") at a higher pressure of 54,000 CUP ...... so the 7x57 is just as capable, and can probably handle the heavier 175gr bullets better.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Cartridges have max pressure ratings, regardless of rifle. Then one has possibly lower pressure ratings for less strong actions.
    The 7x57 has a max rating of 3900 bar vs ~4150 bar for the 308. (7x57R only has 3400 bar)
    Brass is manufactured to work in a certain pressure band, one can not just say..hey I've got a great action here lets crank up the power.
    Or can we run pistol cartridges at 4000 bar if one would chamber them in a modern bolt action rifle? Everything has a limit.

If you pm me your e-mail I can post some Data I have out of a German reloading book.
    edi

Oh dear well I have been loading my BSA CF2 in 2x57 using Vectan TU5000 powder and getting 2850fps with the Hornady 139 BTSP #2825 and am still below what Vectan recommend in their booklet. With this load I am not finding short case life either.

This weak brass theory was de-bunked many years ago once they got rid of balloon headed cases. Using data develped in Petersens Publishing lab in Claifornia I load the 30-30 Winchester in my bespoke bolt action rifle to get 2800 fps with the Hornady 130 SP bullet and have yet to have to scrap any cases used so far in in. I am using Winchester headstamped acses in the 30-30 and Brazilian TAP or RWS in the 7x57.

My load for the 7x57 is 43.0-44.0 grains of TU5000 with either Rem 9 1/2 or CCI200 primers with a COL od 2.978"-3.030".
    Of course this has proven safe in MY rifle it might not be in yours to reduce the load and work up.

Orion, in my experience you do not want to use "to" slow a powder with the 7 mm as the case volume is a little small. WW760 appears to be about ideal and will get a 140 gn to 2800 fps and a 154 gn to 2650 fps if you work up slowly from book data and monitor for pressure signs. A 7/08 pretty much is a 7 x 57 but in a short action and much easier to get cases for or make them from .308 cases. A nice cartridge but slowly going the way of the dodo.

I'll add the load that I use for mine, which was chambered for 275RigbyHV, and using Nosler 140 Gn BT / Accubond or Partitions, all shoot to 1/2 inch with Norma 7x57 brass. Fed GM210M primers, 46.5 Gns H414. The rifle has a 22 inch barrel 1:9 twist and gives 2810 fps , which is ok for my needs.

The usual provisos apply, this load is good in my rifle, it is not a hot load by any means but work up to suit your own rifle and chambering.

FWIW I have a 7-08 which uses Norma brass, same primer, same bullets with 40 Gns RL15 under. This gives 2835 fps MV. It is slightly heavier than the .275 yet the recoil is sharper, still nothing much but the 7x57 is more like a gentle shove, which makes it the more pleasant round to shoot for me.

I shall happily follow the Dodo into extinction with the 275, as I happen to think that Mr Mauser originally and Mr Rigby subsequently got it about right all those years ago.

Which ever way you look at the 2 calibres, I can vouch for the fact that the Deer can't tell any difference.

Thanks for the interesting replies so far folks, and I promise I won't be asking to have sex with anyone's daughter - virginal or not!

Just to clarify things, the Heym 44 is chanbered for the regular 7x57 rimless cartridge and as the rifle is only circa 12 years old, I understand that it is capable of handling 'modern' loads - although I'll quickly add that part of the attraction of the Mauser for me is that it can be a sweet shooting round and I'll not be needing to reach out too far as this will be predominantly a woodland stalking tool.

Is it an exercise in nostalgia? Maybe in part it is, the type of rifle certainly holds a certain facination for me. In times past I've taken out numerous stalking clients who have turned up with a short attache rifle case and proceeded to assemble a Kipplauf, (sometimes some very nice pieces from gunsmiths of Ferlach, Suhl or Heym etc.), stuck the 'scope on, shot a very acceptable test group and gone on to take animals with excellent shot placement. A somewhat whimsical piece on them here: http://www.holtsauctioneers.com/Admi...rch%202012.pdf

Please keep the info coming - I'm sure others will also find it interesting as the cartridge doesn't seem to get much up to date info circulated about it.

ejg - pm on the way, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka 260 View Post
    I'll add the load that I use for mine, which was chambered for 275RigbyHV, and using Nosler 140 Gn BT / Accubond or Partitions, all shoot to 1/2 inch with Norma 7x57 brass. Fed GM210M primers, 46.5 Gns H414. The rifle has a 22 inch barrel 1:9 twist and gives 2810 fps , which is ok for my needs.

The usual provisos apply, this load is good in my rifle, it is not a hot load by any means but work up to suit your own rifle and chambering.

FWIW I have a 7-08 which uses Norma brass, same primer, same bullets with 40 Gns RL15 under. This gives 2835 fps MV. It is slightly heavier than the .275 yet the recoil is sharper, still nothing much but the 7x57 is more like a gentle shove, which makes it the more pleasant round to shoot for me.

I shall happily follow the Dodo into extinction with the 275, as I happen to think that Mr Mauser originally and Mr Rigby subsequently got it about right all those years ago.

Which ever way you look at the 2 calibres, I can vouch for the fact that the Deer can't tell any difference.
    One of the things about "old" cartridges is they have stood the test of time 7 x 57, 30-06, 270 etc. They are still around and that tells you something. I also think that many of the older cases, combined with a longer barrel allowed for a slower powder and thus the shove as opposed to the smack with loading for high velocity and a short barrel. Just my 2p.

David.