Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing

Zeroing

I usually use .243 remington core lokt 100grn soft point for deer and .243 remi accutip v 75grn ballistic for fox.
    My rifle is zeroed in using the accutip 75grn to shoot 1.5" high @ 100yrds, about 3/4" group, barrel cold.
    I don't charge my scope settings when using the core lokt just allow for drop.
    I ran out of the core lokt 100grn and so had my gunsmith, but I managed to get hold of a box of federal 100grn soft point.
    As I hadn't used these before I decided to check them out on a target @ 100yds to see how they performed.
    I started off with the remi accutip 75grn and fired 3 shots and they grouped 3/4" at 1.5" high of centre (Spot on)
    I then switched to the federal 100grn and fire 3 shots and they grouped 3/4" at 1/2" high of centre. (which is as expected)
    This is the point when I should have packed it in, but no I decided to shoot 4 more rounds using the federals (barrel warm,weather warm)
    The first shot hit the centre, the second 1" low, the third 2" low, the fourth grouped at 2" low.
    I then decided to use the accutip 75grn because I know these usually shoot 1.5" high, 2 shots grouped at 3" high.
    Now I know its to do with the barrel temp and I should have let things cool down, deer stalking/foxing is all about that first cold shot.
    But why if the federal 100grn started to drop lower didn't the accutip do the same, they actually shot 1.5" higher.
    I then waited 30 mins with my gun in the shaded with bolt open then shot 2 shots using the accutip 75grn and they grouped 1.5" high.
    Luckily I never touched my scope settings at any time, just a bit strange. ( I'm fairly new to rifles so go easy)
    Last edited by .243Ady; 04-04-2012 at 15:24.

Remington 700 sps DM

Andy, my guess is your barrel is not floated and you are getting movement of the barrel against a pressure point or the barrel channel as it heats and expands. The group does not always move as you think it should.

Why don't you just stick to the one ammunition 100 grn sorted

It's quite simple and the difference is all to do with at what point in the barrels "swing" the bullet exits the muzzle. The Federal was obviously exiting on the low node the Remington on a high node.

Try it once more with barrel cool.

As to whether you take the advice or not is entirely up to you of course.

Even if I just stick to one ammo say 100grn , doesn't explain why bullet drops when barrels start to warm up.

Thanks Brithunter , advice most welcome.
    Yes tried rifle again with barrels cold, shoots group 1.5" high @ 100yds with 75gn accutip.(spot on)
    Might just slide strip of paper between barrel and stock when warm to see if anything touches mountainstalker.
    Last edited by .243Ady; 29-03-2012 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    It's quite simple and the difference is all to do with at what point in the barrels "swing" the bullet exits the muzzle. The Federal was obviously exiting on the low node the Remington on a high node.

Try it once more with barrel cool.

As to whether you take the advice or not is entirely up to you of course.
    spot on all about the muzzle flip and let's say as the barrel heated up it became a bit 'softer' therefore it might spend more time flexing 'downwards' and if the federal exits on the 'down' trend, the warmer the barrel gets, the further south it will shoot. and the opposite is true with your other round...but BH's reply says enough

Thanks alot guys I knew somone would know the answer, makes a lot of sense when explained so well.
    Just glad I just hunt with my rifle and don't do any range shooting.
    Last edited by .243Ady; 29-03-2012 at 14:54.